SDRplay with CubicSDR?

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
Toontje

SDRplay with CubicSDR?

Post by Toontje » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:45 am

Hi all! First post here.

I am planning to buy an SDRplay, but i want to know if the SDRplay will work on a Mac. I understand that there are drivers available on the website. Do they work? Are they reliable?
I understand that the SDRplay software relies on the gr-osmosdr library but that the library is not up-to-date, read: doesn't support SDRplay yet. So i'll have to compile the latest version of the library.
I am not planning on using GQRX. I think it's a terrible program, resource hog, etc. I am planning to use gnuradio, but only for development purposes.
I am planning to use SDRplay as panadapter for my HAM radio tranceiver. For this i use CubicSDR which also uses the osmosdr library.

Can anyone try CubicSDR and let me know if it works? You can find CubicSDR at http://cubicsdr.com. It's a straight-forward .dmg install, no need for compiling and stuff if you don't want to.

Please let me know what you find out. My purchase decision depends on it.

Thanks in advance,

Ton.
Last edited by Toontje on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

NN4F

Re: SDRplay with CubicSDR?

Post by NN4F » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:37 am

Ton,
CubicSDR only currently supports the RTL Dongles and does not support the SDRPlay, I've asked the author if he intends to support the extio interface, he has no plans at present....but in the future, how long that will be who knows.....

I run macs and pc's and currently I can't get it to run here, only via VMwareFusion, SDRplay say they have some users with mac's but I cant find any that have it working yet.... I did manage to get a modified RTL_TCP code to work, but it fed to GQRX (see code section of this board) which i hate compared to HDSDR and my favorite SDR-Console....

SDRPlay really need a mac programmer for a few hours :) and a native app would be a BIG catch....

Paul
Last edited by NN4F on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
--
Paul Jones - NN4F, Charleston SC
http://www.facebook.com/groups/SDRPlay

Toontje

Post by Toontje » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:58 am

I posted a message on Github and Charles responded that he will work on gr-osmocom support probably for 0.1.5. This is two versions out from where we are now, so this will take some time. But the developer is aware that full osmocom support will open CubicSDR up to all kinds of devices, not just the SDRplay. So he is definitely looking at it. It's just that he's alone (i think) and CubicSDR is a side project for him.
Ok, so the big question for now is then, Virtualization or Bootcamp? Any experience on what works best?

Ton.

dc1rdb

Post by dc1rdb » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:33 am

There might be a good chance that CubicSDR will support SDRPlay in the future. According to https://github.com/cjcliffe/CubicSDR/issues/64 , gr-osmosdr (which includes SDRPlay) support is planned to be integrated into CubicSDR version 0.1.5.
Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Robert
Last edited by dc1rdb on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

dc1rdb

Post by dc1rdb » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:10 pm

Toontje wrote:I posted a message on Github and Charles responded that he will work on gr-osmocom support probably for 0.1.5. This is two versions out from where we are now, so this will take some time. But the developer is aware that full osmocom support will open CubicSDR up to all kinds of devices, not just the SDRplay. So he is definitely looking at it. It's just that he's alone (i think) and CubicSDR is a side project for him.
Ok, so the big question for now is then, Virtualization or Bootcamp? Any experience on what works best?

Ton.
Ton, I tried both virtualization (Oracle virtual box) and bootcamp. Virtualization always resulted in some sort of timing problems, i.e. choppy audio. I ended up creating a streamlined and dedicated Win XP partition just for SDR applications via bootcamp. Works well, although I would very much prefer native OS X support.
Regards,
Robert
Last edited by dc1rdb on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Toontje

Post by Toontje » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:03 pm

Yeah, i just created a 40Gb Bootcamp partition as well and installed Windows 7 on it. It's a shame that to be able to use the SDRplay we are obliged to use Windows. Mac, Linux, Android and Pi support are desperately needed.

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:56 pm

We do support all of those platforms (http://www.sdrplay.com/platforms.html) with the API. In some case though either applications or plugins are required to make it usable by end users.

Once I have finished working on the Windows tablet issue, I will be moving back onto gr-osmosdr and trying out the various platforms and improving the documentation.

Bear with us and we appreciate your patience.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support
Last edited by sdrplay on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Toontje

Post by Toontje » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:56 pm

I am patient. ;-) First i need to find an antenna cable. All the cables i have are RP's.... Ordering in China will take a month to deliver.... Grrrr.

jon

Post by jon » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:26 am

Just to update readers of this old thread.... we now have CubicSDR functionality - links available on http://www.sdrplay.com/mac.html
Last edited by jon on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.