SDR play connected via IF out and transmit

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
g4jnw

SDR play connected via IF out and transmit

Post by g4jnw » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:30 am

I have an Icom 746pro with a G4HUP Pat 70 board giving IF out to my SDRplay as a pan adapter question is I would like to transmit, how well is the IF circuit protected and how well is the SDRplay protected considering I could be using 100 watts.

How have others protected the SDRplay from the transmitter?

At the moment I'm not transmitting when I've got the SDRplay plugged in to the IF out, not even if its switched off!! (paranoid!)
Last edited by g4jnw on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

DK7OB

Re: SDR play connected via IF out and transmit

Post by DK7OB » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:57 pm

I have my RSP1 connected to the RX antenna output of my TS590SG without any protection. No problems so far.

I also tested with an active whip antenna connected directly to my RSP1. The whip delivers about 10 dBm when I transmit. This might be considered dangerous, but no problems so far.

Transmit power is 100W

g4jnw

Post by g4jnw » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks thats good news. I asked the man i bought it from and i feel more confident now too as he says

"When I installed the IF tap, there was several options where to take the supply from, but after reading around I decided to take the supply from the RX 8V rail.. Therefore the IF tap is effectively muted on transmit.. ( it will have no supply)

So in terms of blowing up IF stages, you should be fine.

I am not aware of any issues with using a dongle within a TX environment.. It should be fine, there are 1000's of us out there doing just the same"

lanwolf

Post by lanwolf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:36 pm

DK7OB wrote:I have my RSP1 connected to the RX antenna output of my TS590SG without any protection. No problems so far.

I also tested with an active whip antenna connected directly to my RSP1. The whip delivers about 10 dBm when I transmit. This might be considered dangerous, but no problems so far.

Transmit power is 100W
How far is your whip from your tx antenna ?
Last edited by lanwolf on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

DK7OB

Post by DK7OB » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:04 pm

The whip sits on the top of one of the masts that hold my multi band dipole. Distance to the 80m dipole end is about 3m.

Roger

Post by Roger » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:06 pm

lanwolf wrote:
DK7OB wrote:I have my RSP1 connected to the RX antenna output of my TS590SG without any protection. No problems so far.

Transmit power is 100W
How far is your whip from your tx antenna ?
You are on the edge of damaging your RSP with the Active Whip. According to SDRplay the safe limit at the antenna input is 0 dBm continuous and 10dBm short duration.

DK7OB

Post by DK7OB » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:24 am

Roger wrote: You are on the edge of damaging your RSP with the Active Whip. According to SDRplay the safe limit at the antenna input is 0 dBm continuous and 10dBm short duration.
I didn't know that when I posted nearly one year ago. I do not use the whip while I am transmitting, it was only for testing and more a test if the whip survives my transmission (which it did so far).