I would like to follow up on this interesting post from Genoa (Dear Mr Genoa - please re-register on our new forum so that we can make this an active thread again!)
Here is an edited highlight of what was posted by 'Mr Genoa' a few weeks ago.....
According to "SDRplay limited" the SDRplay is a "development platform" and "it is designed by engineers for engineers".At the moment me (and a lot of other enthusiasts) are not capable of developing software for SDRplay even if we would like to in the future...at the moment we like to use it as a good price/performance SDR receiver.
So I'm opening this new discussion thread to collect and share "end-user" experiences, info, tips, techniques. On one hand SWL and radio enthusiast can share their experiences, on the other hand I hope "SDRplay limited" people can take info to improve the product, the documentation, release new "end-user" technical guidance etc etc etc.\
Any contribution is welcome, even if I suggest to get a proper "quantitative" / "semi-quantitative" approach to our discussion if possible...
Listening report Today (early Jan date) at 10.30 UTC I tuned my SDRplay around 20MHz using 1.5 bw and 1.5 sr.
Antenna: random wire 12m on the roof (20 m over sea level). a near "desert land" it come up something. After some work with the zoom i identified vfo reading 20.047.500 -> _ . . --> single letter beacon "D" vfo reading 20.047.800 -> _ . _ . --> single letter beacon "C" those two in the waterfall were "printed black on white", very clear identification.
Some times i heard an other vanishing signal, not clear in the waterfall, very confusing. After some google search it was identified as "S" at vfo reading 20.047.700. Very low over the noise but surely it was there in the audio output.
Doing a "cross check" with Global Tuners (qrg.globaltuners.com) I find out
20.0477 D sevastopol ukraine
20.0479 S severomorsk russia
20.048 C moscow russia
According to Global Tuners my vfo was off tune 200Hz more or less.
Unfortunately there in no adjustment parameter for SDRplay with SDR#.
Doing an other cross check with SDR-WEB "TWENTE".
From that location only C was visible/audible at vfo= 20.048.1
Doing an other cross check with my FCDPP (same antenna)
Only D was visible/audible at vfo=20.047.700 (here i have a f. correction of 3.9 ppm that was tested in one year of operations mainly on MS/SW)
Summary: SDRlay has good sensitivity and selectivity in this "use-case"
Nice to have: a frequency correction parameter (please consider this in the next sdr# plugin release). Bye.