RSP2 with hardware frequency tuning wheel

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
hb3ydh

RSP2 with hardware frequency tuning wheel

Post by hb3ydh » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:49 am

I am a newbie with RSP2Pro and like it eventhough I have not yet found how to open the 3 or 4 windows at once. That would be nice.

Beeing not a fan of frequency tuning with a mouse, I am wondering if it would be possible to use with SDRUno a TuningWheel from Griffin Technology (https://griffintechnology.com/us/produc ... -keyboards) which they build and sell as <Powermate USB>. I.e. Bonito sells it for its Radiojet 1305P for which he just names the Griffith driver with its hardware. Griffith does not supply any more driver other than for MAC, but the old driver for Win7 should be ok.

Thanks for any feedback.

Jean-Claude, HB3YDH
Last edited by hb3ydh on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

someYguy

Re: RSP2 with hardware frequency tuning wheel

Post by someYguy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:56 pm

Yes, it is possible to use a Griffen Power Mate with the RSP. I've successfully done it several times.

BUT

In order for it to really work well - i.e. little to no jerkiness, smooth tuning with no pops etc., you must use HDSDR as your SDR program because as far as I know it is currently the only program available to us which properly implements the necessary keyboard shortcuts for use with the Griffen Powermate. SDRUno and SDRSharp are not really set up for it and will be popping & the spectrum displays on both programs become jerky when tuning with the hardware knob. Not sure about the SDR Console software because I haven't tried it with a hardware knob.

Using HDSDR, it is easy to set up with most any hardware knob which allows the knob to emulate keyboard shortcuts. What I did was to simply configure the Griffen Powermate via its own software to emulate the up & dn arrow keys during rotation which then tunes the radio :).

There is also another alternative if you don't mind a bit of homebrewing - remove the electronics from an old USB mouse and connect a rotary encoder to same. Turns an old mouse into a rotary knob :).

hb3ydh

Post by hb3ydh » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:33 am

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation.

For the moment I do not want to install HDSR. I like your idea of transforming a mouse electronic. I have many mice "in stock" as it took me many to find the ones suiting me the best - hihi. After it would work, making the mechanic in aluminium to look similar the Grifin Powermate is not a problem here, a nice project.

Jean-Claude

hb3ydh

Workspaces and where to find Version number

Post by hb3ydh » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:07 am

I work with a RSP2pro and SDR Uno.

I have been trying to save settings in Workspaces to which I gave a name instead of Workspace 1, etc. The name changes have been assigned correctly. After changes of frequency, mode, etc , pressing continuously the CTRL key I choose the Workspace name I want to save and release the CTRL key.

After that when I choose to listen to one or another Workspace nothing happens except that the choosen Workspace name is shown. Nothing changes, whether the frequency or other settings. The only Default Workspace changes the number of Windows settings, but no frequency, mode or other settings.

What a saving of a Workspace should modifiy, number of windows and their sizes alone or frequency, mode, etc as well ?

For the Version number of SDR Uno, I have not found where to look its version. Where can I call it from?

Jean-Claude, HB3YDH

13dka

Post by 13dka » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:28 pm

AFAIK SDR Console supports the T-Mate2 directly. No experience with that tho, about to order it for xmas. :)

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:10 am

For the version of SDRuno, click on OPT->About in the Main Window.

As of V1.2 (1.21 is the latest as of this post and should be used) saving workspaces is done with just pressing CTRL+W. Renaming them is still right click on the workspace name, and selecting the workspace to use is still left click.

Holding the ctrl and pressing mouse buttons, etc. is no longer supported as it was too cumbersome.

SDRuno supports TMATE-1 and TMATE-2 controllers natively.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support

DVE

Post by DVE » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:43 pm

I tried Griffin about 3 years ago - at that time I was not able to find SDR software, that supports Power Mate directly as a USB device (it should work even if the application is minimized, and so on). It was only possible to use it as a mouse emulation, and it was absolutely inconvenient - you need always check where the cursor is, it does not work after switching to another app, etc.

I did not test TMATE-1/2, is it really works? But it looks too expensive anyway.

RLyell

Post by RLyell » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:09 am

Yes the Griffin powerMate works just fine in Windows 10 and SDRuno. That's what I have been using for over a year now with no problems at all.

NoelC

Post by NoelC » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:16 am

Silly question, and I apologize in advance for it but...

You do know that with SDRuno the mouse wheel changes the frequency, right?

-Noel

hb3ydh

Post by hb3ydh » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:41 pm

Hello Noël

Yes, of course I know that the tuning mouse wheel allows to change the frequency. I find it very unconvenient as on other SDRs than RSP2 as well.

I want to have a larger wheel fixed vertically in one of my racks, i.e. a hand wheel pulse encoder as used on cnc machines. I have tried to link one to a Logitech M100 mouse but killed its electronic by doing that - hihi!

Jean-Claude, HB3YDH