Is the RSP1 significantly worse in the AM band compared to RSP2

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
RichardG

Is the RSP1 significantly worse in the AM band compared to RSP2

Post by RichardG » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:29 am

I have been trying to receive signals in the 100kHz to 2MHz range on my RSP1 without much success. I have since had the opportunity to try out an RSP2 and have found that with the same antenna, same SDR Uno settings I can receive loads of signals. I'm using Port A on the RSP2 which isn't even rated for below 1.5MHz but it works much much better than the RSP1. Even using a small whip antenna the RSP2 will pick up broadcast radio stations in the band whereas the RSP1 shows absolutely nothing.

Is this normal expected behaviour or does my RSP1 have a fault?

Thanks

Richard

Reason: No reason

mark.

Re: Is the RSP1 significantly worse in the AM band compared to RSP2

Post by mark. » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:05 pm

My RSP1 works great for the broadcast band on any antenna from a short test lead to an outdoor diplole. I live in a big city and relatively close to a lot of powerhouse stations. The only time I get poor performance is if I have the LNA switched on, Zero IF mode, and the gain slider up towards the top. It will overload the unit. But anything other than that specific setting it works great. Going under 540khz is a problem because of neighborhood noise sources and images of a few of the most powerful broadcast band stations.

Reason: No reason