RSP2 issue

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
K1FQY

RSP2 issue

Post by K1FQY » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:24 am

Hi,
Just received my new RSP2 and have begun using it am enjoying it very much.
I do have an issue however. I noticed when I use ant "A" I get a bunch of sperious signals on the 80M band that I do not get using the same connection on ant "B" input. Have not noticed this on other bands however. For instance on 3.730 I hear somewhat distorted music on the "A" input but not on the "B" input.
Any suggestions?

Tom

Reason: No reason

g1hbe

Re: RSP2 issue

Post by g1hbe » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:16 pm

As far as I know, the A & B inputs are identical, the only difference being that B has a bias-T facility. I can't see that causing such a difference though. Have you tried using the Hi-z input for HF as recommended by the makers? I think it uses one less conversion so maybe it avoids the spurii. The problem with all these SDRs that boast a huge spectrum display is that the front-end filtering has to be equally wide so spurious responses are inevitable.

Andy

K1FQY

Post by K1FQY » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:28 am

Thank you for the reply.
It is strange and I have been using the B port as its cleaner.
It may be a defective unit as I just received it. I have been using a 130' endfed zep by MyAntennas so havn't tried the HI z connection.
Tom

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:17 am

Hello Tom,
Your problem sounds like overload from medium wave AM signals. The Bias-T on port B adds an extra low frequency pole when compared to port A which means that it provides a bit more attenuation of strong AM signals. The circuitry for ports A and B are common apart from the bias-T and antenna switching circuits. Does using the AM/FM filter help?
We recommend using the Hi-Z port for HF, but very strong AM signals can overload even this port and in such circumstances, the only solution is the add extra external filtering.
Narrow band receivers can be made much more immune to such issues as they can have much narrower band RF pre-selection filters. When you are trying to deliver up to 10 MHz of visible spectrum, this is simply not possible.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support