RSP2 Pro HF reception question

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
harryawilliams

RSP2 Pro HF reception question

Post by harryawilliams » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:01 am

I have a new RSP2 Pro and I am trying to determine if it is working correctly on the HF frequencies (I suspect it isn't) and I thought I would ask for help or suggestions. I have it installed and am testing it with SDRuno. It works like a champ on 2M where I can see signals, select them and hear the associated FM conversations. Therefore, I believe my basic hardware and software installations are OK. However, this is not the case with any of the HF frequencies. I can find plenty of S9+20 signals on 160M and 80M with no corresponding signals showing up in SDRuno. I have tried all of the bands from 160M to 17M and no luck finding any signals on SDRuno. What appears on the SDRuno screen are small spikes at 10Khz intervals across the bandwith. My transceiver that I am comparing to is a Kenwood TS 590SG.

Since it works as expected on 2M and not on the HF bands I am perplexed and think I might have some kind of a hardware problem. I at first thought it might be signal strength, however, an S9+20 signal on my TS590 ought to generate a discernible signal on SDRuno I would think.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Harry - KF2TV
Last edited by harryawilliams on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

DK7OB

Re: RSP2 Pro HF reception question

Post by DK7OB » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:02 am

I have no idea for your problem, but I can say that the RSP sensitivity on HF is at least as good as the TS590SG. What antenna are you using on HF? I connect the RSP to the DRV output of the TS590SG which I configured as RX output, so the RSP and the TS590SG are basically connected to the same antenna.

<edit>
Just a thought... maybe you have selected the wrong antenna port on the RSP2 on HF? I don't know what the default configuration is (I am running RSP1A which has only one antenna port), but that might be worth to be checked.
</edit>

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:14 am

I also own an RSP2 Pro. Can you receive any local MW Broadcast Band stations? The Hi-Z antenna port is best for LF/HF reception using Low-IF mode (On the main panel click on settings 'SETT' ) The other two ports should work as well. I have read on this forum that some have had problems, that sound similar to yours. with the latest release of SDRUno. It can be frustrating to use. Also, the default configuration for the RF gain control is Gain Reduction, that is max gain occurs at the minimum setting.
Note: I get symptoms similar to yours occasionally that seem to occur randomly, I have tried to reproduce them with no luck. Sometimes resetting the registry settings works - there is a link to do this placed in the Start menu in the SDRPlay folder.

If all else fails give SDR Console version 2.0 a try
http://www.sdr-radio.com/Software/Version1,2

Roger

Post by Roger » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:19 pm

harryawilliams wrote:I have a new RSP2 Pro and I am trying to determine if it is working correctly on the HF frequencies (I suspect it isn't) and I thought I would ask for help or suggestions. I have it installed and am testing it with SDRuno. .....Since it works as expected on 2M and not on the HF bands I am perplexed and think I might have some kind of a hardware problem. I at first thought it might be signal strength, however, an S9+20 signal on my TS590 ought to generate a discernible signal on SDRuno I would think.
Harry - KF2TV
Harry - I assume you are using AntA because you have been listening to 2M. If you are using the default settings the sliders are set for Gain Reduction. So if the slider is at the top you have maximum Gain Reduction or minimum Gain. At the bottom minimum Gain Reduction or maximum Gain. You can change the slider to the more conventional Gain mode in the Main settings.

Try the following:
1. Use AntA with slider at middle position. Select AntA in Main
2. Go into Main settings and click the IF AGC box (if not already set)
3. Start SDR Uno and see if you can receive WWV at 5, 10 or 15 Mhz.
4. If not working try moving to AntB connector, select AntB , close program and then start it again.
5. If still not working try Using Hi-Z port with antenna connected to 2 left pins
6. Select Hi-Z, set slider to middle and try for WWV again. If you hear a signal try moving the slider to top and bottom to see how control works.

harryawilliams

Post by harryawilliams » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Hey guys, I want to thank you for all of the suggestions. When I tried switching to Ant B my HF problem went away and I could see and hear QSOs in progress! Thank you. Now I need to write to the folks at Sdrplay to see what they have to say about my Ant A port not apparently working.

Thanks again, I look forward to now implementing Omnirig and interfacing directly to my TS 590-SG. FYI what I was doing before was using a coax switch, switching my long-wire antenna between the TS 590 and the Sdrplay RSP 2 pro.

73's
Harry
KF2TV
Last edited by harryawilliams on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:02 pm

There have been a few instances of A & B inputs being swapped over in recent batches. Sounds like someone at the factory is mixed up!

Andy

Roger

Post by Roger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:47 pm

harryawilliams wrote: When I tried switching to Ant B my HF problem went away and I could see and hear QSOs in progress! Thank you. Now I need to write to the folks at Sdrplay to see what they have to say about my Ant A port not apparently working.

Thanks again, I look forward to now implementing Omnirig and interfacing directly to my TS 590-SG. FYI what I was doing before was using a coax switch, switching my long-wire antenna between the TS 590 and the Sdrplay RSP 2 pro.
When you say AntA not working do you mean that you have to select AntB to hear AntA? Or do you mean AntA port is deaf for HF and you have to physically connect to AntB and select AntB in the software. The reason I ask is there have been cases of the SMA connectors being put in the wrong holes so AntA needs to have AntB selected in software and vice versa.

My second question is did you ever transmit on your TS-590-SG when the RSP was still connected to the coax switch or when the RSP had any kind of antenna connected to AntA? If the coax switch has less than 40-50dB of isolation or a Tx antenna is close to an RSP Rx antenna there is a chance of blowing out the front end of the RSP on that port. Some cheap coax switches have poor isolation and a lot of signal is couple to the other port. It only takes a little over 10 milliwatts to destroy the front end of an RSP even if the device is turned off.

DK7OB

Post by DK7OB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:03 am

I have connected my RSP1 to the DRV output of the TS590SG configured as RX out. No relays etc. needed. You hear the TS590 TX signal in the RSP, but below RSP limits.

sofiabovino

Post by sofiabovino » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:35 pm

My transceiver that I am comparing to is a Kenwood TS 590SG.
Last edited by sofiabovino on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

fritz-the-listener

Post by fritz-the-listener » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:59 pm

DK7OB: What happens with the SDRplay RSP connected to the DRV/RX-out jack of your Kenwood Transceiver, when you switch your TS-590SG off? Is the RSP disconnected from the antenna or do you still have reception on your RSP when the TS-590SG is switched off?
In case the RSP receives something when the Kenwood ist switched off, are the signals being filtered by the TS-590SG bandpass filters or does the RSP get the full spectrum delivered from the antenna?

regards
Buck
Last edited by fritz-the-listener on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.