Raspberry Pi Soapy Server fails to start when only connection is Wifi

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
rrobinet

Raspberry Pi Soapy Server fails to start when only connection is Wifi

Post by rrobinet » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:31 pm

I am trying to build a battery powered 'flying antenna' by mounting my RP2 connected to a wifi connected Pi running the most recent V0.2 image.

Running Cubic on the Rpi will chew up my batteries especially if it feeds WSJT-x running on the Pi, so I would like to use Soapy to feed the IQ data across the Wifi connection to Cubic=>WSJT-x running on my PC.

When the RPi is connected to may LAN by wired ethernet, the Soapy Server runs normally and I can access it from CubicSDR on my PC.
However when the RPi is connected via a Wifi connection and I VNC to the RPi and start the Soapy Server, I get this error message:

[ERROR] SoapySSDPEndpoint::sendTo(udp://[ff02::c]:1900) = -1 sendto(udp://[ff02::c]:1900) [99: Cannot assign requested address]

On other projects I have encountered similar errors when SW tries to broadcast or multicast over a wifi network. Is that the problem here and if so can someone suggest a fix or work around?
Last edited by rrobinet on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

rrobinet

Re: Raspberry Pi Soapy Server fails to start when only connection is Wifi

Post by rrobinet » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:55 pm

Upon further investigation I have found that the Soapy server does run after printing that error message.
I am now exploring why Cubic on the remote client PC crashes when starting this RP2+Pi.
That problem is almost certainly in Cubic.

SDRuno appartley doesn't include Soapy support. Are there SDR other than Cubic which include Soapy client support?
Last edited by rrobinet on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

robbedoeske

Post by robbedoeske » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:04 am

rrobinet wrote:Upon further investigation I have found that the Soapy server does run after printing that error message.
I am now exploring why Cubic on the remote client PC crashes when starting this RP2+Pi.
That problem is almost certainly in Cubic.

SDRuno appartley doesn't include Soapy support. Are there SDR other than Cubic which include Soapy client support?
Same problem here, soapy server crashes when cubic connect with wifi..
Did you already fix this problem?
Last edited by robbedoeske on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

rrobinet

Post by rrobinet » Wed May 02, 2018 4:50 am

Yes, the Soapy developer found and fixed the segfault problem.
But the Soapyserver can easily saturate a wifi connection unless you set the sample rate to 1 Mbps or less.