SDRPlay RSP1 & SDR#?

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
KE2KB

SDRPlay RSP1 & SDR#?

Post by KE2KB » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:55 pm

Hi;
I am trying to get the SDRPlay RSP1 to work with SDR# ver 1.0.0.1361 but not having any luck.
I was informed on another forum that this ver of SDR# would work with the RSP1.

I have downloaded and installed the following in the SDR#_1361 folder on my Win 7 box:
SDR# ver 1.0.0.1361 - not actually installed; just extracted the .zip to here
EXTIO SDRPlay ver 1.1 (Nov 2017) from the SDRPlay downloads site
API/HW Driver ver 2.11 (Nov 2017) (for developers only) - didn't notice that before, so I probably don't need this.
The API driver also installed the C++ 2012 redist package (which I probably didn't need)

The RSP1 is working properly with SDRUNO ver 1.21 and still is after the botched SDR# install.

When I run the program "SDRSharp.exe" from the folder which contains all of the other stuff I installed, I get the following errors:

"Failed to locate API registry entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\MiricsSDR\Tools... ERROR 0"

After clicking the OK button, another error pops up:
"Error loading 'ExtIO_SDRplay.dll' Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

After all the two error dialogs are dismissed, SDRSharp does open, but there is no SDRPlay RSP listed in the Source selections.

Searching the Windows registry I find that the MiricsSDR key does exist, but there is no \Tools subkey there. The only subkey is \Api which has the REG_SZ value set to the install folder for the api (which is the same folder that SDRSharp is in).

Perhaps I should have allowed ExtIO to install in the default folder but I wanted to keep all the new files out of the working SDRPlay folder in case I messed it all up. At least this way I still have SDRUNO (both ver 1.21 and 1.13) working.

Looking at the SDRPlay download site, I see that there is a Mirics DVB-T Demodulator. Do I need this as well?

In the end, I'm not sure why I want to have SDR# at all. I have been using SDRUNO since I purchased the RSP1 back in Nov 2016 and have liked it a lot. But I got an idea that SDR# has something that SDRUNO does not. I'm not sure what that is; it is something I read in another forum.

So, should I pursue this or just be happy to have SDRUNO?

Reason: No reason

Paul

Re: SDRPlay RSP1 & SDR#?

Post by Paul » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:15 pm

A working copy of SDR# Rev 1361can be installed by following this link scrupulously:
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/
Then presumably you can copy the specified SDRplay driver to the same file, which should do the trick I think.
Best of luck.

KE2KB

Post by KE2KB » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:07 pm

Paul wrote:A working copy of SDR# Rev 1361can be installed by following this link scrupulously:
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/
Then presumably you can copy the specified SDRplay driver to the same file, which should do the trick I think.
Best of luck.
That guide seems to be geared for the cheap RTL-SDR dongles, not SDRPlay.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Absolutely corrrect. However the initial instructions on creating a working copy of SDR# in a folder of your choice - such as "Downloads" is common and I believe essential, as it doesn't appear to work from the Programmes files.
You would presumably require the EXTIO and API copied to the same folder.

KE2KB

Post by KE2KB » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:27 pm

I downloaded and installed HDSDR from the SDRPlay site and it is working fine right off. I don't think I'm going to spend any more time with SDR# at this point. Honestly, I don't have the time for outdated software that is pesky to install. I've had enough of that back in the old DOS days

someYguy

Post by someYguy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:15 pm

KE2KB wrote:I downloaded and installed HDSDR from the SDRPlay site and it is working fine right off. I don't think I'm going to spend any more time with SDR# at this point. Honestly, I don't have the time for outdated software that is pesky to install. I've had enough of that back in the old DOS days
I don't understand why you are having problems with this. I've been using SDR# v1361 for years with the RSP1 on Windows 7 32/64bit with no trouble whatsoever on several machines. I also use HDSDR.

SDR# is very worth your time to get working because it offers useful things which the others do not and it is the current best choice for testing use as a spectrum analyzer.

Not pesky to install at all here.....I just unzip the v1361 archive to whatever folder I want, put the RSP1 EXT_IO file in same folder, startup and go. After installing the RSP drivers of course.

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:23 pm

I absolutely rely on SDR# 1361 to run SDRPlay RSP. I've used it since it was released - and thank goodness I always installed new builds into a new folder as after that SDR# doesn't support SDRPlay. The entire folder is backed up in various places!

My niche hobby is FM DX and I need to be able to decode and log RDS (RDBS) data. Although SDR Uno and SDR Console have built in RDS decoders (so does SDR#) they are not as sensitive as sending an unfiltered audio signal to an external decoding program - RDSSpy. This uses the plugin MPXoutput from rtl-sdr.ru - but an older version that works with build 1361

SDR# also has a third party frequency scanner - FMSuite - produced by Jeff Knapp - a version for build 1361 is available.

Additionally SDR# allows the bandwidth to be set asymetrical - just by dragging one side of the filter shwing in the IF filter. It is amazing how this can result in an FM signal producing RDS.

Wideband recording uses a lot of disk space and I use two plug-ins to generate and play back files up to 10 GB in length - both from rtl-sdr.ru. These are 'baseband recorder" and "File Player".

If you aren't into FMDXing and don't need a scanner you could also try SDR-Console v3.

fe8769

Post by fe8769 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:23 pm

Many users are requesting for RSP1 -RSP1A -RSP2 working with sdrsharp . One of the last reason is the arrival of the new very goog TETRA decoder plugin .(only RTL SDR, hackrf, airspy funcube supported)
Maybe be, we could have cross exchanges between SDRPLAY team and SDRsharp team to integrate airspy in sdruno and sdrplay in sdrsharp

hope it could happen

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:41 pm

Maybe be, we could have cross exchanges between SDRPLAY team and SDRsharp team to integrate airspy in sdruno and sdrplay in sdrsharp
That is very unlikely to happen. Would you expect Apply to write software to allow Android users to access iPad programs? and provide it for free! One of the problems is that the software and hardware is in a state of continual development and the program developers have a hard enough job ensuring they don't 'break' their own hardware with an upgrade, let alone take the blame if a piece of 3rd party hardware falls over.

Personally I wonder how someone like Simon Brown who writes the SDR-Console software manages to stay on top of it with his brain melting :)

Buy an Airspy mini if you want to use the latest version of SDR# and it's plugins on VHF and above. The purchase will help fund continued software development. Then you will get the best of both worlds.

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:19 pm

If that's the case then why would anyone want to buy this product?