RSP1A +Raspberry PI

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
Recordable

RSP1A +Raspberry PI

Post by Recordable » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:16 am

Despite I am new on this SDR stuff I managed to install and use the RSP1A and SDRuno and use it for some weeks now.
And now would like to control it remotely.
I live in a place with very bad reception (no shight line for VHF direct signals).
I would like to instal the RSP1A + Raspberry on a parents house better placed for reception (high location at center of city).
There is an old Discone antenna istalled by me 30 years ago that is still alive, (not the coax. cable).
I bought a Raspberry pi 3B (not+) with a box and thermal radiators, a fan and a 3 Amp. power adapter, I installed barely the image from the sdrplay web in the SD card. The raspberry initiates right and let me alone with its pannel and my lack of aknolledge.
I am completelly new at raspberry stuff.......
I did not connected the RSP1 yet. not configuring nothing.
I would like to set and run it on my actual house and carry it later to the new place changing the IP settings only as I have the same provider-router.
I only want to run it remotely.
There is a (fast?) fiber optic provider Router connection in the new house, i can connect the Raspberry by means of a RJ cable to avoid complications with wifi settingd despite the router has a high speed wifi 5Ghz.
Appart of all the hassle on how to connect the net settings I do not know what program I shuld use to control and view the RSP1 remotely.
Perhaps soapyremote. My computer is running windows 10.
what shuld i install in the computer to control-view the remote station?.
how can i get the remote station to initialyze allways the right application as the station is going to be unnatended?
Nobody is going to troubleshoot the station if fails or there was a power cut.

Appart of this, I got a suge protector (gas discharge device) to ground, and a FM notch filter that i am going to put in the coax line.
The filter improved the reception a lot in the actual place, i think is going to be essential at the new place.
Any advice is wellcome.
Thanks.
Last edited by Recordable on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Recordable

Re: RSP1A +Raspberry PI

Post by Recordable » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:24 pm

I replay myself as I simulate the connection in my own home from one room to another by the router line.
I was unable to activate SSH.
So I follow other tutorial on how to use VNC to acces to a raspberry remotely and it did worked.
I can control remote or remote desk from my PC computer to the Raspberry+RSP1A by CubicSDR.
I dont know a clue about Raspberry, Linux and PC tech. and suppose the ideal is control the SDR directly from my PC but i can start this way and modify the communication in the future.
Now i am going to install the raspberry +SDR stuff in the remote home and see what happens, bandwith, latency..etc...
Too many characters and acronims to understand from new: putty, vnc, ssh, gnu. and so and so on....
There are some tutorials but i can not find exactly my case or I do not understand the jargon.

Recordable

Post by Recordable » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:41 pm

By the way, I ordered a RSP2 PRO to use at home instead of the RSP1A destinated to remote receiver.
I wonder if i have to make a change on SDRuno or the new SDR is going to work directly.?
Any Idea...please??

Thanks.

vk7jj

Post by vk7jj » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:00 pm

I can control remote or remote desk from my PC computer to the Raspberry+RSP1A by CubicSDR.
I dont know a clue about Raspberry, Linux and PC tech. and suppose the ideal is control the SDR directly from my PC but i can start this way and modify the communication in the future.
Hi Recordable;

Raspberry Pi's are wonderful but a) are not powerful enough to do what you want and b) running an SDRPlay remotely is challenging.

Best explore using SDR-Console with it's built in remote option, a good place to start reading about that is on the SDRPlay blog

https://www.sdrplay.com/lots-of-rsps-av ... ta-server/

Do keep exploring and playing with your Pi though!

Regards, Phil VK7JJ

Recordable

Post by Recordable » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:19 pm

I do not know if the Cube eats more or less CPU than the Console and needs a better computer than the Raspberry.
I am starting from here, i hope to understand that jargon and character soup in the future.
of course i´ll improve that configuration by the way.
I am a Beta guy in a VHS/Beta world...hi hi...( i am so old..)
The raspberry is cheap and i can place a reception remote for listening the Hams that i can not get from my home. Thats enough to me at the moment.
the low expenses to get that is rewarding.
By the way I connected the new RSP2pro and nothing happened. not recognized.
I had to register and install the SDRuno again to run the RSP2pro.
dont know what happened with RSP1 configuration.
I can´t do an A/B compaison but it seems the RSP2 has a bit better reception.
Thanks for your help and advice.

Recordable

Post by Recordable » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:04 pm

This is to update I can not get the RSP1a to work remote by Cubesdr and the raspberry.
it seems the connection is too slow and is useless.
reduce cpu usage does nothing.
I have to change the way of connection to SSH or something else.
I am going to rethink the connection.

Recordable

Post by Recordable » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:33 pm

I finally got it...¡¡¡¡¡¡
it is working fine.
I had to open 12000 ports.
Now the troubles come from the antenna.
I can receive some FM stations despite the 80 dB notch FM commercial band filter (ebay) I put in antenna line.
At the 2 meters band there is noise only. No trafic at this momment , incredible...
it peaks a lot of noise, spikes separated 30 khz.
perhaps is the noise comming from the Raspberry that is placed near the RSP1.
Perhaps is a local noise.
I am arranging a new cable and antenna to improve the actual that is a mobile one fixed by the magnet to the balcony.
The cubic SDR is a very simple interface but I can not manage well the tuninng.
I can not describe what I did to put it to run. in fact i can not repeat it. hi. hi...

Recordable

Post by Recordable » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:45 pm

I am prepearing a Diamond X50, dual band 2meters/70CM antenna I have as spare.
The Discone antenna is on the other side of the building and it takes too much cable to reach the Raspberry, despite I put 10 meters of RJ45 cable.
I´ll manage at the moment with the X50 and put a wider antenna in the future.
It is a so pour station that i think I can not share the reception to public.
also lack of an HF antenna at the moment.
I´ll try to check-change to SDRconsole in the near future.
i update to tell
I bought a USB mixing table Hercules mini to see if I can use it as a tunning-control device. I have to check it completely.
I own a Griffin knob dedicated to that but only controls one function.(its an apple device but works in windows 10 in my case).
the tunning is a not well finished solution.
Thanks for following.

Recordable

Post by Recordable » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:07 pm

Finally I got it running.
I am going to close this thread with my conclusions after only a couple of days of comparing.
Due to a mistake with the gender of a SMA adapter I left the disconne antenna working instead of the Diamond dual band.
I could not install the sourge protection device (N connector).
First conclusion the coaxial cable is too long or too thin or both.
Now I can compare the reception from the city center to outside the city.
The city center is plenty of noise. a filter is mandatory, even a preselector could be necessary.
I have to test any kind of pass band filter for the 2 meter band only.
I have to add a HF antenna by a diplexer in the future.
Harmonics an mixeds subproducts mess the espectrum on the screen.
I realyze i got no diference or improvement receiving from the center. My out of the city station is better than I suppose.
Any way it alows me listen from outside and perhaps when traveling.
Using the SDR by remote shorten the 10 mhz band viewing and forced me to work tunning a bit more.
I have to implement a system to tune and control easely. (Hercules mixing table?)
The Raspberry is enough and works well in my case due to the fiber optic provider except for the reduced espectrum.
The small fan is enough for cooling at the moment but during summer can be different. (up to 40ºC ambient)
I am using VNC to connect to the raspberry server and start running the cubicsdr at the host computer. I do not know what i am doing.
perhaps anyone can tell me if i am remote console or getting the data and procesing at the host. ?¿?¿
the Cubic sdr is noisyer than sdruno.(the audio) the reception is harsh.
I run 1Mhz scan and reduced cpu usage setting.
Now i am planing to build a remote controlled filter for the SDR remote station.
I got two coaxial swiches of 6 positions each, able to work up to 18Ghz. SMA connection.
i can put 6 different filters in a box with the switches and manage to conmute them as needed.
they work at 24 volts or so but can be swiched remotely as there are no mechanical movements.
I have to find a way to remote control de switch box by means of the Raspberry too.
Now it takes to explore the RSP2pro at home.
thats all.
thanks for following my troubles.