RSP1A or RSP2?

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
Kamakzie

RSP1A or RSP2?

Post by Kamakzie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:30 am

I'm trying to decide which one I should get. I currently use one dongle for HF and one for FM police bands etc. They are cheap RTL dongle's. I hook up the FM signals with a 75 ohm TV antenna and it seems to do quite well picking up signals. Would I be better off getting a RSP2 so I could have both in one unit or should I go with the RSP1a because it might be newer and better technology? For the HF I am installing a long wire antenna that will be approximately 125 feet with a 9 to 1 balun. Thank you.

P.S. I'm all for saving money but I don't want to hamstring myself with a cheaper model.
Last edited by Kamakzie on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

g1hbe

Re: RSP1A or RSP2?

Post by g1hbe » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:24 am

I have the RSP2 and find the selectable antenna ports a real boon. The single input of the RSP1a means you'll need to plug/unplug all the time or get an antenna switch. The chipset in both units is the same, the only difference in technology between them is that the RSP1a has access to an extra couple of 'bits' (making it a 14 bit unit rather than a 12 bit one), but I'd bet anyone they couldn't tell the difference in everyday use. On paper in lab tests maybe.
It's entirely up to you.
On the RSP2, one thing I would recommend is a set of filters, especially if you are interested in LF/VLF listening. I use homebrew 500KHz and 100KHz Lowpass filters and they make a huge difference when I'm poking around at the bottom end - all the MW images disappear and the noise level drops. Be aware that the best antenna port for frequencies below 1.5 MHz is the Hi-z 'green block'. Trouble is you cannot select the built in AM BC filter on this input, hence my homebrew ones.
The AM BC filter is selectable at all times on the RSP1a, which can ease the situation.

Andy

OH2BUA

Post by OH2BUA » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:46 am

Hi,

i have owned RSP1 and RSP2, now running RSP1A and RSPduo.

As G1HBE comments the multiple antenna ports of RSP2 is a great thing. Regarding technology, RSP1A does also have a more proper front-end filtering.

In your situation, i'd choose between RSP1A and RSPduo - based on if one antenna terminal is enough for you or not. If you consider RSPduo, notice that right now only SDRuno (Windows) is supported.

73, Jukka

P.S. The police here have been using strongly encrypted digital communications for over the last ten years now. How can i speak them to understand that it would be way better to switch back to the gud ol' system:)

73, The same

Kamakzie

Post by Kamakzie » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:28 am

I'm thinking I can use my old V3 as a FM band receiver and just use the RSP1A for HF stuff 1 khz to 30 MHz.
Last edited by Kamakzie on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.