RSP1A Clock Accuracy

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
roel55

RSP1A Clock Accuracy

Post by roel55 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:43 pm

My RSP1A has a clock offset of -1.36 ppm when tested against RWM 14.996 MHz. This is a lot more than the specified +/- 0.5 ppm - is this normal?

The RSP1A specifications states that the clock can be trimmed, but it seems like it is only the SDRuno that can be trimmed, not the RSP1A itself. Is this correct? This is quite cumbersome since I use several different applications and some other SDR receivers as well.

Regards,
Roger
Last edited by roel55 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Tech_Support

Re: RSP1A Clock Accuracy

Post by Tech_Support » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Hello Roger,
the 0.5ppm TCXO refers to the temperature stability. That is how TCXOs are specified. As well as temperature drift, all Xtal oscillators also exhibit frequency errors due to stress and ageing.

As things stand, you can only calibrate the Xtal in the application. You can certainly do this in both SDRuno and HDSDR. However, but we will in the future be up-grading SDRuno so that calibration values will be stored on the NVM in the device itself. Once that is done, the API will be able to automatically use the correction values with any application. However, I am afraid that is still in the future. Even with this software feature, it will still be necessary to perform periodic re-calibrations to account for ageing if you want to maintain a very high level of accuracy (< 0.1ppm)

Sincerely

Tech_Support

Reason: No reason