Win10 New Tablet Install Problem

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
rons

Win10 New Tablet Install Problem

Post by rons » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:11 pm

I recently purchased a Lenovo 8" Yoga2 tablet and upgraded it to Win10 from Win8.1 with no issues. I carefully followed the instructions on the Start Here page and installed both HDSDR and SDRConsole, but neither program can find the radio.

The EXTIO installer, the SHA-2 Certificate update, and the API Driver programs were run with no errors. I would appreciate any advice for next steps. FYI, the SDRPlay works fine on a desktop PC running Win7.

Thanks, Ron
Last edited by rons on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

rons

Re: Win10 New Tablet Install Problem

Post by rons » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:52 pm

Ok, now I downgraded the tablet to Win8.1 and the same thing is still happening. When the SDRPlay radio is plugged in, Windows does not seem to see it (on the desktop the device manager refreshes when it is plugged in, but not on the tablet). HDSDR reports that no hardware is found.

I think that possibly one of two issues exists, either the tablet micro USB port does not have enough power for the SDRPlay (I haven't heard this as a problem with others), or my USB type A to Type B adapter I purchased to fit the connector on the SDRPlay is somehow not working.

Again, any suggestions are welcome...

Ron

dlritter

Post by dlritter » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:56 pm

surly the port is not just a charging port.. does the system recognize a thumb-drive or other type of device?
I can't imagine it being OTG configured like smartphones.. or usb3
You may need to ring Lenovo's chime.
Last edited by dlritter on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

rons

Post by rons » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:34 pm

I have a parallel thread going on this issue. I spoke to Lenovo, they had me reload a number of drivers with no luck. I ultimately hooked the tablet to a USB hub and the hub did not see the tablet, so there is a USB port issue. There are a lot of Lenovo Yoga USB problems online, so stay away from thus product. I am returning the tablet.

Thanks for responding, if you have any tablet recommendations I would appreciate them.

Ron

wd9ewk

Post by wd9ewk » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:12 pm

rons wrote:if you have any tablet recommendations I would appreciate them.
I use my SDRplay with these tablets:

HP Stream 8 5801 (1 GB RAM, 32 GB internal storage/C: drive, up to 32 GB optional micro-SD card/D: drive)
WinBook TW800 (1 GB RAM, 16 GB internal storage/C: drive, up to 64 GB optional micro-SD card/D: drive)
WInBook TW100 (2 GB RAM, 32 GB internal storage/C: drive, up to 64 GB optional micro-SD card/D: drive)

The HP tablet only has a micro USB socket, and the two WinBook tablets (sold by MicroCenter, and sometimes they show up on Amazon) each have full-size and micro USB sockets. I would not recommend the TW800, as it doesn't appear to be upgradeable to Windows 10, but the WInBook TW802 8-inch and TW100 10-inch tablets are good ones for this sort of use - and can be upgraded to Windows 10. Both of these have 2 GB RAM and 32 GB internal storage, improvements over the TW800. As with any of these low-end tablets, don't expect to use the SDRplay at its full 8 MHz bandwidth. These tablets can't handle much more than the 1.544 MHz bandwidth from an SDRplay without the reception becoming choppy. The same thing happens with other SDR devices that have more than 2 MHz bandwidth.

These tablets generally come with 1 GB or 2 GB RAM. I have done fine using my SDRplay and HDSDR with tablets that have 1 GB RAM, but I don't try to run more software at the same time. SDR Console is difficult to run in 1 GB RAM, and can run in 2 GB RAM, but you have to disable much of the functionality in that program to get it working on these tablets. When I used to put SDR# on my tablets, it would use more resources when running than HDSDR, plus I preferred the HDSDR interface over SDR#.

Try to avoid tablets that come with just 16 GB internal storage, which is the C: drive under Windows. You can't expand this, so try to get tablets that have at least 32 GB internal storage, and then add the largest micro-SD card you can which becomes the D: drive under Windows. You can install most software on the D: drive, keeping the C: drive free for the operating system, Microsoft stuff, and some programs that must go on the C: drive (the FUNcube Dashboard software is one that cannot be installed on the micro-SD cards of these tablets; it must go on the C: drive).

Good luck!
Last edited by wd9ewk on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/ - Twitter: @WD9EWK