SDRPlay as Pan Adapter/Spectrum Scope for FTdx5000

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
N6PET

SDRPlay as Pan Adapter/Spectrum Scope for FTdx5000

Post by N6PET » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:55 am

Hello to the community.

I am searching for information on how SDR-Play can be used with either SDR-radio Console or HDSDR interfaced with a Yaesu FTdx5000 as Spectrum scope. I have seen a handful of YouTube videos and some sites briefly discussing this but not getting into specifics on the interface. I have a FTdx-5000 and been using SDR-Radio Console with my SDR-Play. I want to see the SDR software display the correct VFO frequency the radio is on and respond to VFO changes accordingly and vice versa.

Can someone please point me to the right direction how this can be done.

Greatly appreciated,

73s
Last edited by N6PET on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

GasMan

Re: SDRPlay as Pan Adapter/Spectrum Scope for FTdx5000

Post by GasMan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:57 am

Look up OMNI-RIG from Afreet Software.
Many of the TS-590 users are doing this with OMNI-RIG. It offers the total function of a "point and click" band scope and parallel tracking second receiver.
Easily set up with both SDRconsole and HDSDR.

Have Fun...
Last edited by GasMan on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

N6PET

Post by N6PET » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:00 am

Thank you GasMan. If I'm understanding you right, you are recommending another software (Omn-Rig) to remotely control the radio, which has nothing to do with HDSDR nor SRD-Radio?

IK2RGT

Post by IK2RGT » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:17 am

N6PET wrote:Thank you GasMan. If I'm understanding you right, you are recommending another software (Omn-Rig) to remotely control the radio, which has nothing to do with HDSDR nor SRD-Radio?
Once you have installed OMNIRIG in your machine, either HDSDR and SDR Console will catch the parameters of your radio in OMNIRIG and runs in the background allowing the full control

One question : how you connect the SDRPLAY to the back of the Yaesu FT5000?
Via the RXOUT bnc plug or via the IF OUT rca plug?

Thanks, Emanuel, IK2RGT-W7RGT
Last edited by IK2RGT on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

N6PET

Post by N6PET » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:51 pm

Thank you! I got it to work ;) . I am using the RCA IF Out of the FTdx5000. Its working exactly as we intend it to with HDSDR. I'm still figuring out how to adjust the IF bandwidth with SDR-Radio Console. HDSDR was pretty straight forward, EXTIO , set IF bandwidth to 8Mhz, then fine tune it but I am searching where the equivalent setting is for the SDR-Radio Console since I actually like Console better.

Thanks again for all the help and appreciate it more if anyone knows how to configure SDR-Radio Console to function the same way.

73s

n7cix

Post by n7cix » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:02 pm

Running HDR on win 7/64, installed software 2.76a for HDSDR, loaded the drivers, using the RSP1A connecting to the IF out on the back of the FTDX5000 mpl, HDSDR opens and I can remote control the 5000 but there isn't any received signal on the waterfall. Confirmed cable from rig to RSP1A is good, confirmed that IF out is turned ON in the 5000, Changed USB cables several times, changed USB slots on the PC, still no receive, downloaded Omni-Rig ran it and setup, still no receive in the waterfall. Tried running antenna direct to RSP1A and still no signal. Sent a note explaining what's going on to "support" at SDRplay website and was advised that he could not help (no experience) with the 5000. I have run out of things to try. I was using HDSDR with great success with FT1000D but sure having problems here. Beginning to think the RSP1A is bad, have not way of checking it and it is only a few days old and don't want to open it up. Anyone with some new ideas would be great. Thanks
Monty/N7CIX
Last edited by n7cix on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Roger

Post by Roger » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:25 pm

Monty,

Have you set the IF frequency to 9 MHz. in HDSDR?

If you can't receive anything on the RSP1A when directly connected to an antenna you may have an issue with your RSP1A. Try getting it to receive some AM and FM stations on an antenna. Then try 10 MHz. WWV which is close to the IF you are using.

Did you transmit when the RSP1A was connected to a receive antenna. If so you may have damaged the front end of the RSP1A.

Roger

n7cix

Post by n7cix » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:20 pm

Thanks Roger I am not sure where in HDSDR to set the MHZ. Last night after removing all the software that I previously install via Control Panel and reinstalling everything again it wasn't working. So in desperation I turned all off and watched TV the rest of the night. About 4 a.m. (was thinking and not sleeping) I came back into the shack, turned everything on and it was working!! WOW, someone must have come in and fixed it for me. hi hi I hope it continues to work as I am not sure why it is at this point. I also took the RSP1A back to HRO (100 miles) and tested it there just to confirm it was working.

Monty/N7CIX
Last edited by n7cix on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Roger

Post by Roger » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:02 pm

Monty,

Here is where you find the IF settings in HDSDR
hdsdr.png
hdsdr.png (126.2 KiB) Viewed 27828 times
There is a lot of info on setting up HDSDR to use an RSP on the IF output on this site....

https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-if-pano

Have fun - Roger