Raspberry Pi 3 + SDRplay for ADS-B

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
hp2at

Raspberry Pi 3 + SDRplay for ADS-B

Post by hp2at » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:39 pm

My brother bought me a SDRPlay on Dayton Hamvention 2016.

My current setup is a RTL-SDR dongle + LNA with Raspberry Pi 3 for ADB-S with dump1090 can copy up to 200 nmi.

Today, I turn off my main ADB-S setup and connected the ADS-B external antenna to a Backup RPI3 with the SDRPlay (with no LNA).

I follow the instructions and installed OK the installer software.

Then run the command:
sdrplay_dump1090 --dev-sdrplay --net --oversample

After more than 2 hours can only copy planes up to 15 nm and only few messages. Then tried without the --oversample and still the same results.

Has anyone tried the SDRPlay with a Raspberry Pi 2/3 and the current Raspberry Pi installer with good results?
Last edited by hp2at on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

sdrplay

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 + SDRplay for ADS-B

Post by sdrplay » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:31 am

Hi,

If you add --interactive to the command line. Can you say what sort of signal strength you are getting and whether you are seeing a number of planes with lat/lon information.

In tests here I have about 175 mile range with my RSP but I think if I was able to raise my antenna up higher it would probably do more. I'm using an 8-stage colinear antenna through a splitter as I'm running both RTL and RSP at the same time (again I would do better without the splitter but I'm just testing).

Are you feeding the data into virtual radar server? Are you using beast format from port 30005? A screengrab of the stats after a time would be useful.

oversample (8MHz demod) may not show more planes but in tests was able to decode planes further away at the expense of CPU load. But it's still well within the RPi3 limits.

Hope that helps,

Best regards,

SDRplay Support
Last edited by sdrplay on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

hp2at

Post by hp2at » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:29 pm

OK, I just plugged back by my RTL-SDR for the meantime. I purchased the SDRPlay specifically to test if it performs better than the RTL-SDR and technically it should.

Perhaps, I should first play with the SDRPlay with Windows software as a general receiver.

Hope to continue next week with the RPI3+SDRPlay for ADS-B testing. I am expecting to receive a mini-circuits ZAPD-2 splitter and a filter to test at the same time the SDRPlay and RTL-SDR connected.

On the RPI3 test computer have previously a version of Dump1090 but it was removed before installing the SDRPlay installer. On the RPI3, also have installed Modesmixer2 and Virtual Radar to visualize the results. I will try next time to install a new microSDcard a clean version of Raspbian Jessie and SDRPlay RPI2/3 installer. Or try the Windows SDRPlay dump1090 software.
Last edited by hp2at on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

jon

Post by jon » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:22 am

We now have an SD-card image you can download - see https://youtu.be/SRhcpya3LnU