Delta loop antenna - advice please...

Useful information regarding antennas for SDR products.
mikebrock

Delta loop antenna - advice please...

Post by mikebrock » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:51 am

Hi I'm planning on purchasing a delta loop horizontal hf antenna. My back yard has 50.8 meters maximum circumference in a rectangular shape. My question is will I be able to tune up to the 80 meter band with an atu and receive decent signals? Currently I'm using an end fed 40 meters long wire with 9:1 balum - its not straight but a big u shape. My atu doesn't seem to be able to tune it at all for 80 meters? Signals are very weak from 40 to 80 but strangely 20 meters seems better? Thoughts please guys.

Reason: No reason

dsalomon

Re: Delta loop antenna - advice please...

Post by dsalomon » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Given your lack of space, you might want to try a vertical inverted loop. Here's an example of a homebrew project, very easy to build, and tunes up to 80 meters: https://www.w8ji.com/super%20miniloop.htm. This project is a duplication of the RadioWorks SuperLoop. I built one about 5 years ago and it is an EXCELLENT performer.

n1kgy

Re: Delta loop antenna - advice please...

Post by n1kgy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:22 am

Hello Mike,

I apologize, but I'm going to answer your question with a few questions -
What is your desired purpose for this antenna - do you want to receive mostly DX (stations roughly 750Km and further from you) , or are you mostly interested in signals which originate in your general area (less than 750Km distant)?

Additionally, it would help to know at what height (maximum and minimum) you would be able to hang this loop?

Finally, what type of soil do you have in the area where the antenna will be hung? - rocky, sandy, clay, boggy etc.
If the ground under the antenna is paved please also mention this - flagstones, brick, concrete, asphalt, etc. - as paving also makes a bit of a difference at MF and lower HF lower frequencies).

Warmest regards,
Chuck
n1kgy
Last edited by n1kgy on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.