Antenna port limitations

Useful information regarding antennas for SDR products.
Paul

Antenna port limitations

Post by Paul » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:12 am

Having had the RSP2 for a whiie now and achieved generally pretty satisfactory results with the antenna setup that is possible/practicable for me at present, which is:

Longwire on the Hi-Z Port, H/V/UHF Discone (with some HF capability) on Port B and an active mini-whip on Port A.

Whilst I note that Ports A & B are rated to a low frequency of 1.5Mhz, the mini-whip on Port A receives remarkably well down to frequencies in the MF and LF area with the advantage of being able to use the MF/VHF filter.

In this range, the mini-whip significantly outperforms the longwire, whilst a higher ranges the reverse applies.

The time signals at 6o Khz and 77.5 Khz are perhaps unsurprisingly loud & clear and I am able to receive a good few NDB transmissions.

The question that I have, is whether to swap the mini-whip and longwire over - what might the gains/losses be?

Reason: No reason

g1hbe

Re: Antenna port limitations

Post by g1hbe » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:30 am

I've found that the A&B inputs get slowly worse as the frequency drops, especially the one that has the bias-t. Hi-z is much better at LF. Long wires can be very bad if there is local noise about. I can't hear anything much on my vertical wire no matter what aerial port I use! So I use a Wellbrook loop on the Hi-z port for all my listening from 10 KHz to 30 MHz, and it allows me to get good, clear sigs all the way down to 20 KHz. For VHF/UHF I use A & B with home-made dipoles and yagis. Seems to be the best combination for me.

Reason: No reason
Andy