Apple (i.e. macOS) now 4th largest PC manufacturer in the world.

Add useful snippets of code or links to entire SDR projects.
MiamiC70

Apple (i.e. macOS) now 4th largest PC manufacturer in the world.

Post by MiamiC70 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:39 am

Apple (i.e. macOS) now 4th largest PC manufacturer in the world. Just saying....

https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS43495918#

Reason: No reason

MiamiC70

Re: Apple (i.e. macOS) now 4th largest PC manufacturer in the world.

Post by MiamiC70 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:54 pm

So where is the macOS software and support?

someYguy

Post by someYguy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:12 pm

Good for them but since macOS still isn't as mainstream as Windows, I doubt that SDR software & support will ever reach the same level as Windows.....

AussieSusan

Post by AussieSusan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:47 am

But the Linux (and similar) OSs could be seen as 'mainstream'. It would really be nice to see a *nix version of SDRuno - after all there is a LInux (and MacOS) version of the API.
Susan

NoelC

Post by NoelC » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:07 am

The black part of the graph at the following site has grown a bit, but be honest - it's still hard to see much past the blue part. Technically there's not a good way to develop for multiple platforms - it's not just a matter of recompiling. Apple's system is VERY different to code for, and it's no one's fault but Apple's.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/218 ... windows-7/

-Noel

AussieSusan

Post by AussieSusan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:31 am

It would be interesting to take away the office PCs and laptops from that graph and see the impact.

I agree that Windows tends to be the most used where users don't get a choice and the computer is used for office/commercial tasks (I think Word/Excel/PowerPoint etc. would be some of the most heavily used software in these environments).

However the target market for people using an SDR is quite different as they are generally more 'technical'. I don't know but I would imagine that the same graph for this market would show a much higher percentage of *nix users and some MacOS users as well.

I admit that audio on MacOS can be a real pain but there are cross-platform solutions such as PortAudio that I've used in software that runs on both Linux and MaxOS.

When it comes to the GUI, there is more of a challenge and there are some terrible cross-platform solutions out there. For this I would suggest using modern software techniques where the graphics is placed into an 'object' with a defined interface that can be implemented using whatever is the most appropriate technology. Done properly there is very little loss of 'optimisation' of the graphics and the modern hardware is generally screamingly fast.

The main parts of the code would be transportable - FFTs and other such modules are generally not dependent on capabilities of any specific OS.

Susan

vk7jj

Post by vk7jj » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:54 am

Hi Susan,

it's a really interesting issue.

imho with apologies to anyone for the below, opinions are just that :-)

Taking the larger view, seems to me the lack-of-return-on-escalating-complexity and the rapidly increasing onerous-big-brotherness of Windows in particular is creating an ever widening gulf between itself and Linux.

The assumption that everyone on the planet *must* have a Creators Update is as sweepingly problematic as its name.

The pendulum swings and the gap Windows is so busily creating will be filled by people responding to the very need for more simplicity it's generating.

Apple unashamedly sticks to it's own perceived space just as in the auto industry do many manufacturers. Purchasing such a computer/car brings with it the understanding of what it will and won't do - to most purchasers anyway - and they buy it on that basis even though they may hanker for more. As I do, being Mac first and foremost.

A lot of people also miss that

"Mac OS X is based on BSD UNIX, which is open source. Apple releases its open source fork of BSD as the Darwin operating system. The XNU kernel that Apple uses is its variant of the Mach kernel, which is an implementation of UNIX"

and is a lot more amenable to cross fertilisation with Linux than Windows will ever be. Things like node.js port and run on OSX without problems and Microsoft struggles with keeping up with that particular revolution because their OS and underlying structure is so totally different. MS is the odd kid on the block, not so much Apple.

Phil

PS. I know I have node.js on the brain and people probably puke when they see it but when it's principal add on web serving package named Express was actually downloaded 4,688,534 times in the last seven days...