CubicSDR 0.2.3 released. How about updating links???

Add useful snippets of code or links to entire SDR projects.
MiamiC70
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:21 pm

CubicSDR 0.2.3 released. How about updating links???

Postby MiamiC70 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:02 am

CubicSDR 0.2.3 released 01.20.2018. How about sdrPlay updates links so users know what latest version actually is???

https://github.com/cjcliffe/CubicSDR/releases


#macOSlivesmatter :roll:

Reason: No reason

Paul314
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: CubicSDR 0.2.3 released. How about updating links???

Postby Paul314 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:38 pm

You do know that a git repository gives you access to the latest version?

Reason: No reason

MiamiC70
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:21 pm

Re: CubicSDR 0.2.3 released. How about updating links???

Postby MiamiC70 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:54 am

You do know it’s a PITA.
You do know most users first stop for support is the manufacturers website.
You do know that SDRplay has links on said website to OLD versions.

So, would be kind of nice to update and keep current don’t you think? They do it for other OS versions.

#macOSlivesmatter

Reason: No reason

Paul314
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: CubicSDR 0.2.3 released. How about updating links???

Postby Paul314 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:58 pm

What ever. I'm happy just going away.

Reason: No reason

sdrplay
Posts: 848
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:58 am

Re: CubicSDR 0.2.3 released. How about updating links???

Postby sdrplay » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:47 pm

I've just read through this thread and I'm confused as to what the issue is. CubicSDR is open source software and not ours. We provide builds on an ad-hoc basis for Mac because I was asked to provide them when I can. You'll note the for other OS platforms we just link to CubicSDR.com and reference the non-Windows workflow document to try to help people build it from source. We do not provide binary builds for other platforms.

CubicSDR (and SoapySDR) are updated on a weekly basis (probably more often than that at times). It's just not physically possible for me to keep producing Mac builds to keep up to date as I'm trying to work on our own software. We're a very small team.

So, yes the Mac build on our website is a few months old. You can find newer source and maybe builds on the cubicsdr.com website.

Hope that helps,

Best regards,

SDRplay Support

Reason: No reason

Alrescha
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:22 pm

Re: CubicSDR 0.2.3 released. How about updating links???

Postby Alrescha » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:16 pm

> I've just read through this thread and I'm confused as to what the issue is...

That's pretty entertaining, as in the early days SDRplay made a big deal out of supporting Macs. Since the purchase of some Windows-based software the company has changed its tune. I've had to go hat-in-hand to Mac users and groups to whom I recommended SDRplay and apologize for my naiveté.

> CubicSDR (and SoapySDR) are updated on a weekly basis (probably more often than that at times).

CubicSDR has a *release* about once a year.

Reason: No reason

sdrplay
Posts: 848
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:58 am

Re: CubicSDR 0.2.3 released. How about updating links???

Postby sdrplay » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:20 am

We provide the same support on non-Windows platforms as we have ever done. We have always maintained the API for developers to use on Windows, Mac, Linux, ARM and Android.

We support SoapySDR which is cross platform and recently gr-osmosdr has been updated, which again is cross platform.

CubicSDR is updated on github here: https://github.com/cjcliffe/CubicSDR - as of writing this post it was updated 3 days ago. The authors of CubicSDR produce release builds rarely, but the source code is available for anyone to build at any time.

We understand that not everyone wants to do the build or are able to do the build. Sometimes CubicSDR for whatever reason doesn't build for me - it didn't in January when I tried - this is the nature of software that is continually being developed. I try to produce a build every few months and I will produce one for 0.2.3 - if the suggestion is that I slow down the builds to coincide with when the authors produce official builds, or for me to update the links to just point to official releases, then I don't think many Mac users would be happy. We have Mac users internal to the company that are asking me for builds and always test builds that we put out.

We very much would like to produce end user software cross platform. We have plans to do this, but there is no quick fix to do that properly.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support

Reason: No reason

Alrescha
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:22 pm

Re: CubicSDR 0.2.3 released. How about updating links???

Postby Alrescha » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:19 pm

> if the suggestion is that I slow down the builds to coincide with when the authors produce official builds...

I don't know how you could possibly think that is what is being suggested here. I'm speechless.

Reason: No reason

sdrplay
Posts: 848
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:58 am

Re: CubicSDR 0.2.3 released. How about updating links???

Postby sdrplay » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:41 am

I am genuinely trying to understand what is being asked.

Up to now I produce Mac builds of CubicSDR (which we have no hand in developing) when I can, probably every few months. CubicSDR official builds are made once or twice a year. The code is updated on a weekly (if not, at times, daily basis)

I've updated the website link to point to the latest official build.

What are we being asked to do differently to what I'm already doing?

Best regards,

SDRplay Support

Reason: No reason

Alrescha
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:22 pm

Re: CubicSDR 0.2.3 released. How about updating links???

Postby Alrescha » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:41 pm

> I am genuinely trying to understand what is being asked.

At this point, that's not a credible statement. Your responses are so full of weasel-words it has become difficult to believe anything you say; e.g. when I mention the company's change of focus regarding macOS you deftly point out you still 'support' the same stuff as as you ever did. Yes, *technically* true, but since SDRplay purchased that Win95 dumpster fire, you've pretty much stopped talking about macOS, and your web site reflects that.

> Up to now I produce Mac builds of CubicSDR (which we have no hand in developing)

More weasel-words. SDRplay was a financial contributor to CubicSDR, if nothing else.

For literally years the game has been the same:

* A new release of CubicSDR comes out (a *release*, not an update, not a commit).
* Months go by.
* MacOS users complain about the lack of updates, old builds/links/what-have-you on SDRplay.com
* You trot out the same old trope about how CubicSDR is updated so often you can't possible keep up - as if anyone was asking for that.
* You proudly point out that the build on the SDRplay web site is only a month old - ignoring the fact that it took you six months after *that* release to get it out there.

In this last go-round you hysterically suggest that people are asking you to slow down your rate of updates. You really do have brass ones. Nobody is suggesting anything of the sort, but if you only built a new copy of CubicSDR after a new release came out that would be a net improvement. And you still don't bother to sign the stuff you do build, which is a pretty clear indication of how much you care about your macOS customers.

You needn't make any change on my behalf, I'm an ex-customer.

Reason: No reason


Return to “Code Corner”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests