Time domain amplitude analysis?

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
CarlNorman

Time domain amplitude analysis?

Post by CarlNorman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:19 am

Hi All,

Sorry if this is obvious or easy, I am not from this world, I am an electronics engineer using the RSP2pro for signal analysis for a research project. I am under NDA so cannot describe exactly what the application is.

What we want to do is similar to the waterfall output but more like an oscilloscope for time / amplitude analysis. I would like to have an output that would show time on one axis and amplitude on the other. This would need to be as fast as the hardware allows so I can visually or mathematically decode information on a given frequency. The data would be similar to OOK (On Off Keying), but also AM or other digital information that could be hidden in transmission(s) at given frequencies.

I have not been able to find a windows 10 application that can do this, however, I am sure they're out there as I have seen them in youtube videos.

Worst case I am prepared to design my own for this research project, or, get raw data files and manipulate them via software (not sure how to do this if I end up having to do this)(

I am using windows 10 and can easily program in .net c# or MatLab worst case.
Last edited by CarlNorman on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

CarlNorman

Re: Time domain amplitude analysis?

Post by CarlNorman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:57 am

Can anyone help me understand how to export and capture the data and import it into another program even? there are other programs that do this...
Last edited by CarlNorman on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

MTG

Post by MTG » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:31 am

For time amplitude spectrogram you can feed the audio output directly to an excellent piece of freeware, Spectrum Lab which can easily be found on an internet search.

Mike
Hayfield
UK

glovisol

Post by glovisol » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:08 pm

Picotec manufactures PC scopes that also have a spectrum analyser function in their Picoscope software. For instance the PC scope model 2204A is quite unexpensive and will give you spectrum analysis to 10 MHz, with full recording facilities. You only have to feed your audio to the scope.

CarlNorman

Post by CarlNorman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:13 am

Thanks for the comments.

I think the audio output is not really what I am after, I want to use the raw data.

What is the easiest way to get the raw data as

*.cf32, *.cfile - Complex 32-bit floating point samples (GNURadio, osmocom_fft)
*.cs16 - Complex 16-bit signed integer samples (BladeRF)
*.cs8 - Complex 8-bit signed integer samples (HackRF)
*.cu8 - Complex 8-bit unsigned integer samples (RTL-SD)

If I can capture the data in these formats there is a great tool that will do exactly what I need.