AUTO CENTERING OF VFO

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
Paul

AUTO CENTERING OF VFO

Post by Paul » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:16 am

In the user manual it states that when the main display is zoomed, the tuned frequency will auto-center.
I am currently using V1.23 on an RSP2, having used all versions from at least V1.2 and have only managed to centre the VFO manually (by pressing the VFO button).
With my (very) limited knowledge I assume that the VFO equates to the tuned frequency.
Is it actually possible to centre the VFO automatically (without pressing the button)?
I, at least, would find this useful.

Reason: No reason

g4enz

Re: AUTO CENTERING OF VFO

Post by g4enz » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:40 pm

Paul,

I have only ever seen the behaviour you desire. If I zoom in on SP1, it centres the current tuned frequency. I haven't ever seen any setting to inhibit or set this behaviour, it's just there.

Martin

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:04 am

Thanks Martin
Operating in max zoom as I very often do, this feature presumably cannot work.
Clearly it must operate only when "unzoomed" or at least not maxed out...

g4enz

Post by g4enz » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:58 am

Hi Paul,

Well, if you're at Max Zoom, you can hardly zoom in any further so, indeed it cannot work. What I find is that, at any zoom level, if I have tuned such that the signal is not centred, then zooming in will always result in the current VFO frequency being in the centre. Zooming all the way out will return to the LO frequency centred and the VFO offset.

Regards,
Martin

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:41 pm

Thanks Martin, I very much appreciate your very lucid explanation and amplification.
I have been guilty of misunderstanding the manual, having misinterpreted it as "WHEN ZOOMED," rather than zooming in to center the vfo.
However, it would be very convenient for the operator to be able to OPT to AUTOMATICALY centre the vfo WITHOUT ZOOMING OR USING the vfo button as there would be no necessity to zoom in and out and would, I think, be a desirable improvement.
It's possibly asking too much of the development team, which has more than enough to do already.

mikeladd

Post by mikeladd » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:12 pm

You can easily center by pressing V on your keyboard. This will only work when zoomed in 1 level or more and not fully zoomed out of the spectrum display.