VRX's and Recording (Two separate issues)

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
VK3MHZ

VRX's and Recording (Two separate issues)

Post by VK3MHZ » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:45 am

First issue - VRX's:

This is not an issue with SDRUno or the RSP2, I am pretty confident on that. What is happening is when I have two VRX's running, after awhile the second VRX stops receiving - all indications tell you it is working fine (from what I can tell) yet no one is home. Obviously I am doing something wrong here or clicking on something and not realising it. I know if I do a reset and then setup the VRX's from scratch again all is good, but at some point during my feeding frenzy to learn all things Uno I am doing something that stops the second VRX from receiving.

Has anyone else experienced the same or have any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Second - Recording:
The recorder works fine, no problems there - but the files are massively huge. Just a few minutes recording results in files GB's in size. What's the score with this? Is there any way to modify the wav file properties to bring it down to something a bit more usable?
Last edited by VK3MHZ on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Tech_Support

Re: VRX's and Recording (Two separate issues)

Post by Tech_Support » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:18 am

Hello VK3MHZ,
The size of the recordings is dictated by the fact that you are recording the entire sampled spectrum in 16 bit format. The reduce the size of the recordings, reduce your sample rate and apply decimation and this will reduce the amount of visible spectrum but reduce the size of the recorded files. Alternatively if you are only interested in recording the audio that you are listening to, you can use a program such as Audacity to record just the audio and this will hugely reduce the amount of disc space that you use.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you with your other question, but this is not a known bug.

Sincerely

Tech_Support

VK3MHZ

Post by VK3MHZ » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:02 pm

Tech_Support wrote:Hello VK3MHZ,
Alternatively if you are only interested in recording the audio that you are listening to, you can use a program such as Audacity to record just the audio and this will hugely reduce the amount of disc space that you use. Hopefully someone will be able to help you with your other question, but this is not a known bug.

Sincerely
Tech_Support
First thanks for your response. In respect to the VRX issue and one VRX suddenly not receiving, I have no idea what caused it and it has not happened again - it was obviously something I was (or wasn't) doing!

On the recording side of the coin -
Now that you have explained the IQ recorder, it is quite a nifty feature really. Not something I need, but I can definitely see a need for it.
Is there, or would there be any scope in the future of implementing into SDRUno the ability to record audio only direct to wav at user selectable rates, and also be able to record multiple VRX's to discrete wav files? Just interested, this is something that would really appeal to me and I am sure there would be others out there the same.

Onto the recording drama...
I have tried without success to record audio direct. I am not sure whether SDRUno is taking total control of my soundcard or not, but I keep getting the error 'No recording device found'. Not sure if it is relevant, but I am currently using a laptop. It definitely is not the recording software, as I have tried many different versions, from Microsoft's basic sound record, X20 vox recorder, Adobe Audition and Audacity.

So I am still at square one with recording audio only.
Last edited by VK3MHZ on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:10 pm

Hello VK3MHZ,
It is our intent to add an audio recording feature to SDRuno. Regarding recording with Audacity, you will need to use a Virtual Audio Cable to link the audio output from SDRuno to the input of Audacity. Alternatively, you can simply use a jack cable to connect your headphone output to the microphone input.

Sincerely

Tech_Support

VK3MHZ

Post by VK3MHZ » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:57 am

Thanks for your help.