Frequency scanner options outside SDR#

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
DaveB

Frequency scanner options outside SDR#

Post by DaveB » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:35 pm

You can set up a basic frequency scanner in HDSDR using CSVUserListBrowser and set it up to step through frequencies in the database at user defined intervals. Then with a bit of work in a spreadsheet I can actually back calculate the time/frequency and set it up against the RDSSpy log I've built up.

I have discovered you can use the same program to drive SDR Console - provided you un-tick the option in CSVULB to set the mode. It is just a first look-see and the initial problem is that the scan steps outside the filter bandwidth before jumping to another frequency segment. The really good thing is that SDR-console has a built in RDS data logger - albeit one where you need to save the tmp file before exiting.

The most important thing is that CSVULB communicates with SDR software via a virtual serial port using the CAT protocol - which is supported more completely in SDR console than it is in HDSDR. SDR-console software includes a manual of SDR CAT commands that are supported.

So it should be possible for some knowledgeable soul to get hold of the CAT programme protocol and write a more dedicated frequency scanner that would read the value of the S-meter every time the frequency changes and decide whether to immediately skip to the next frequency or wait for the user-defined interval.

David
Last edited by DaveB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

NN4F

Re: Frequency scanner options outside SDR#

Post by NN4F » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:32 pm

Dave,

where is the program? is it CSVUSerlistBrowser?

Paul
Last edited by NN4F on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
--
Paul Jones - NN4F, Charleston SC
http://www.facebook.com/groups/SDRPlay

NN4F

Post by NN4F » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:37 pm

ignore my previous, I found it, great catch dave, will play with this over the weekend, should be fairly easy to get working with sdr-console too i think, will report back when i get it installed after work...

Thanks again, Paul - NN4F
Last edited by NN4F on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
--
Paul Jones - NN4F, Charleston SC
http://www.facebook.com/groups/SDRPlay

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:33 pm

Hi Paul,

SDR console includes a pdf file listing the CAT commands available in SDR console. I found a file on the web that could be useful.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/HOWT ... s_v1.2.pdf

the problem for me is that the HHD serial port program comes up with an error message "you need administrator privileges" - I AM the administrator Win 8.1 user panel says so! Grrrr!

It would be nice to have a simple way of typing in a CAT command manually and see what comes back. I'm sure there is scope for someone to write a simple frequency scanner using CAT commands provided that SDR console has (or can provide) either the state of the squelch of the S meter reading - but it's beyond me.

David
Last edited by DaveB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Hombre

Post by Hombre » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:51 pm

I am using SDR# for scanning because is the best program for me.
Of course there is one of the older versions (1361) because new versions do not support superior plugins from Vasili Beliakov.
Frequency scanner and voice recorder.
On my laptop maximum speed of the scanner is 142 MHz/s and think not many people need some faster.

Last edited by Hombre on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.