SDRplay frequency range

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
DL2ZBK

SDRplay frequency range

Post by DL2ZBK » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:14 pm

After i found out, that SDRplay is working excellent down to 0 Hz (i successfully captured Russian RSDN 20 Alpha Navigation signals on 11 kHz and can see even 50 Hz power-line and 16.666 Hz train-power in my spectrum) i would like to know about the highest usable frequency. In a German community i read about 2.5 Ghz, but my RSP seems to stop at 2 GHz.

Is there a way of unlocking all the frequency limits by using a registry key? I know this is experimental and everyone who tweaks this parameters via registry will be aware of this for sure.

Joerg.
Last edited by DL2ZBK on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Tech_Support

Re: SDRplay frequency range

Post by Tech_Support » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:39 pm

Dear Joerg,
The RSP is not guaranteed to work above 2 GHz. Depending which software you are using, there may be limits imposed to prevent people from trying to use the device above 2 GHz. The ExtIO and native SDR sharp plugins have this limitation. We are not sure whether SDR console or Cubic SDR allow programming of the synthesizer above 2 GHz or not, but even if they do, there is no guarantee that your will work above this frequency.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support
Last edited by Tech_Support on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

DL2ZBK

Post by DL2ZBK » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:45 pm

I know that it is not guaranteed to work above, but i'd like to find out the physical limit of my particular device. It seems, my software is not able to set any frequency higher than 2 GHz. When moving the vfo, the waterfall keeps staying right the same.

In the "Low limit Warning Out of Range" thread i read about setting up the registry-key "LowerFqLimit" to the registry in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SDRplay\Settings" for switching off the warning.

Is it possible to use a similar key for the upper frequency limit? What exactly do this tweaks do? Do they simply suppress the warning, or do they allow me to set a higher frequency?

Are these tweaks still working with the current extio-plugin?

Joerg.
Last edited by DL2ZBK on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

BonnyEdgerly

Post by BonnyEdgerly » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:07 pm

As per my experience RSP is not guaranteed to work above 2 GHz. Depending which software you are using, there may be limits imposed to prevent people from trying to use the device above 2 GHz.
The ExtIO and native SDR sharp plugins have this limitation. It is not sure whether SDR console or Cubic SDR allow programming of the synthesizer above 2 GHz or not, but even if they do, there is no guarantee that your will work above this frequency.
Last edited by BonnyEdgerly on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

DL2ZBK

Post by DL2ZBK » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:21 am

Hi,

are there any experiences or news about the high frequency limit? I am still interested, but have´t found anything yet.
I know it is highly experimental and there is no guarantee. :)

Joerg.

13dka

Post by 13dka » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:34 pm

In SDR Console you can tune past 2GHz but (I guess) the Mirics driver doesn't let you receive anything other than the last chunk of baseband from below 2GHz up there. While tuning around to check some WLAN channels, my computer rebooted (in other words I got a bluescreen, which is usually due to a driver conking out).

Would be cool if the tuner would go a tad beyond 2GHz and catch some S-band sats, but maybe it just can't.