SDRplay and SDR# - state of art

General discussions
CaptainNemo

SDRplay and SDR# - state of art

Post by CaptainNemo » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:41 am

Dear SDRplay support team,
I'm a little confused by posts appearing and disappearing here and there.
Also, the forum is growing (and this is very good indeed) and I'm having problems to understand
if your official contact with sdr# "company" is still going on or we can write the word "THE END".
(of course one can still use sdr# with the well known limitations and expecting no further improvement)
Can you please use this topic to give us update? Take all the time you need, of course, no urgency.
TNX, 73

note. based on your answer my idea is to open a new topic to discuss the feasibility
of a new sdr sw project. I see here and there in the forum people saying they want to volunteer,
they have skills and so on. Maybe a new project is in a grasp and we need only to cathalyze resources...
Last edited by CaptainNemo on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Qosmio

Re: SDRplay and SDR# - state of art

Post by Qosmio » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi,

It would be nice to developed software just for sdr play but i think it’s not a real option, it take years to get to the point of for example sdr console or sdr sharp unless you have a few software developers that have nothing to do and can work 5 days a week. My bet is on sdr console as from HDSDR is not known if they continue to develop it any further, i know there are other options under linux and have a much bigger community in SDR radio software developing so maybe there is a start.

For now i donate to Simon because i see the future for sdrplay in sdr console, Simon is also thinking about an option for plugins but he is in doubt, i understand his point of view and worry’s that it will raise user support questions and will press on his valuable time, but for us users it would be a great thing, all options can be there as with sdr sharp.

Just my two coins, Cheers.
Bernard
Last edited by Qosmio on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

jon

Post by jon » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi Captain Nemo (and others asking similar questions here)

We reached out to SDR sharp to see whether we could reach some form of arrangement that would allow users of the RSP to gain access to all of the latest features of SDR sharp. Unfortunately it became apparent that they have no interest in agreeing to this as it appears that their business model is to leverage to software and the Airspy hardware as a combined overall platform. We want to stress that we feel that using the software to give a feature set advantage to a particular hardware platform is a perfectly legitimate business tactic and we have no issue with it whatsoever, even though we ourselves operate a different strategy.

It does however very clearly emphasise the need for a new fully featured open source software platform that would work with any hardware and this is something that we are actively thinking about. Expect to see more about this as we move forward.

Best regards, Jon (SDRplay Marketing)
Last edited by jon on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

fe8769

Post by fe8769 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:15 pm

Very last version of sdrsharp dosn't allow to run with sdrplay . Running the extio 3.2 . Sdrplay is not displayed in the GUI . Sdrsharper or cubic sdr would be the alternative
Last edited by fe8769 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:35 pm

SDR Sharp dropped support for the ExtIO interface after 1361. Beyond that point, you need to use the native SDR sharp plugin which unfortunately only allows restricted functionality

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support
Last edited by Tech_Support on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:45 pm

But you can find build 1361 and the 'russian' plugins on the internet - my downloads showed they had the public MIT licence attached to this build. You can also download the .NET 3.5 version of fmsuite - put them all together and you have something that has more functionality than HDSDR or currently SDR-console. More than that it will run on Windows 10 - if necessary it is easy to go into Windows 10 Control panel, click on Program Features choose "turn on and off program features" and fully enable .NET 3.5. and use SDR Play SDRSharp plug-in v 2.2

And once you've done all that - store it to disc so you have a back up. Don't forget you can run multiple instances in different folders.

I went to the trouble of installing Win10 on my wife's laptop just to check build 1361 would work - it did. Others have also reported it works with no problem.

So in the bigger picture SDR# haven't left us high and dry - they are just leaving other hardware platforms with software "as is"
Last edited by DaveB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

vsboost

Post by vsboost » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:25 pm

I think we all need to forget about sdr# and focus on curbicsdr and sdrconsole these two have current development. The good thing about cubicsdr is its open and currently hosted github https://github.com/cjcliffe/CubicSDR i'm sure Charles the author would appreciate the help and i urge anybody programming experience the pitch in with code.
Last edited by vsboost on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

mrzfrn

Post by mrzfrn » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:59 pm

Have look at SDR-J (http://www.sdr-j.tk/index.html)
Windows7 (source/binary) and Linux (Fedora 21/Ubuntu15.xx source )
You get:
swreceiver ( a lot of digital mode, even initial DRM decoder))
fmreceiver
dab/dab+ receiver
spectrumviewer
sdrplay,airspy,rtl-sdr dongle ,pmSDR,EladS1, soundCard,Elektor support ..
Francesco
Last edited by mrzfrn on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

CaptainNemo

Post by CaptainNemo » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:26 pm

vsboost wrote:I think we all need to forget about sdr# and focus on curbicsdr ...
I'm going to download CubicSDR-0.1.4-win64.exe
Anyone knows what I need to make it work with SDRplay?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by CaptainNemo on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

vsboost

Post by vsboost » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:11 am

Last edited by vsboost on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.