re: having to reset to defaults on sdruno start up

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
g1hbe

Re: re: having to reset to defaults on sdruno start up

Post by g1hbe » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:16 pm

No Paul - I installed Uno on my other laptop and the 'empty window' doesn't appear on that one. On the old i3, I think I'll uninstall, do a registry cleanup and re-install. If that doesn't clear it I'll just live with it. It's not exactly the end of the world, just an extra click on shut-down.

Reason: No reason
Andy

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:41 pm

g1hbe wrote:Thanks for the input Paul.

On point 2, I think I'll do a temporary install on my other laptop to see if I get the same problem. The one I routinely use is a skanky old i3 that's had so many bits of doubtful software shoved on it it must be near death.
Re 3 (step sizes), the latest one was a 5kHz step being selected when I was using SAM. I hadn't selected that size, it just appeared after I'd come from a different mode. I corrected it to 1kHz (OK for MW listening) and tried to provoke it, but it worked perfectly. So random it's almost impossible to force it. Not that it's a problem really.
Hi Andy
I can confirm that my RSP2 retains frequency steps that I set as does the RSPduo.
I have noticed the odd other, easily corrected anomalies, but I'm waiting to see whether it's something that I'm doing, or not doing.

pgoelz

Post by pgoelz » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:15 am

g1hbe wrote:Re 3 (step sizes), the latest one was a 5kHz step being selected when I was using SAM. I hadn't selected that size, it just appeared after I'd come from a different mode. I corrected it to 1kHz (OK for MW listening) and tried to provoke it, but it worked perfectly. So random it's almost impossible to force it. Not that it's a problem really.
FWIW, I think the issue is that step size does not seem to be specifically remembered by SAM. The step size shown for SAM seems to be whatever was associated with the mode in use BEFORE SAM is selected. For example, I often see a step size of 1KHz when I select SAM in spite of the fact that I have selected 5KHz for SAM numerous times. This seems to be because I was using USB or LSB (both set to 1KHz) before I selected SAM so the step size remained at 1KHz. If I momentarily select AM (5KHz) and then switch back to SAM, the step size remains 5KHz. I can of course re-select 5KHz for SAM but it does not "stick".

Note that this is not new behavior for v1.3. I have observed it going back several revisions.

Paul (a different one)

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:31 am

Thanks Paul. Ye's that's the kind of unfathomable behaviour I'm seeing, along with the occasional selection of 100 kHz step size in narrowband modes if I've come from WFM. I think it must depend on which way the wind is blowing....

Andy

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:07 pm

Plus - a bit more info on the 'max RF gain on startup' thing. It only does this this if the Hi-z input is selected. It also goes full gain when moving from Ant A to Hi-z.

Andy

pgoelz

Post by pgoelz » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:34 pm

g1hbe wrote:Plus - a bit more info on the 'max RF gain on startup' thing. It only does this this if the Hi-z input is selected. It also goes full gain when moving from Ant A to Hi-z.
From what I understand, the GAIN or ATTENUATION setting is a single number that is applied to all inputs. However, the HiZ and the SMA inputs interpret that number differently so it may not be possible to find a setting that is appropriate for all inputs. I was unable to find a suitable compromise with the slider set to RF GAIN. However, I have found that setting the slider to ATTENUATION and setting the slider to one notch below max attenuation is appropriate for my Wellbrook on the HiZ input. That also selects a (mostly) appropriate input level for the two SMA inputs (non-amplified VHF antennae).

There is also a separate issue that is new to v1.3 where the selected gain / attenuation is not persistent from one session to the next. The slider defaults to max for the HiZ input and mid point for the two SMA inputs. The developers are aware of this one. Again, with the slider set to ATTENUATION, this default is at least usable. With it set to GAIN, it was not.

It would be great if the RF gain / attenuation setting could be remembered per input or better still, as a setting in the memory panel, but I have been told this would not be easy to implement.

Paul

pgoelz

Post by pgoelz » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:59 pm

dougarz wrote:Not sure why I need to do this every time I start sdruno 1.3. If I don't, sound is garbled
and audio bandwidth center is way off. I don't change anything really. Maybe I should mention
also have new Rsp1a. Was using older version sdruno with rtl sdr previously and did not have this issue.
Anyone else run into this?
Yes. It seems to have begun with v1.24 and persists unchanged into v1.3. In my case it is VERY infrequent (like once every 10-20 sessions) and I have yet to determine an actual trigger. It only happens on program start, never during operation. The audio sounds as though there is a disagreement between the data rate sent from the RSP2 and the data rate expected by SDRUno. The audio plays back slow and choppy (like a tape being played too slow) and the indicated frequency is incorrect. Interestingly, once this occurs it persists even if SDRUno is closed and re-opened. Changing the decimation always restores normal operation.

I have reported this issue but since I was not able to identify a trigger, it is unclear if it will get fixed. Trouble is that I do not think there IS a trigger since when it happens it is always at program start, before ANY operator input.

Paul

g8ixn

Post by g8ixn » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:19 am

Re Frequency step defaults.
Yes they don't stick, so when uno is closed & then restarted, back to default.Not good.
I want 12.5 khz for NFM at startup.

I have located the .ini file, it appears that changed values in step sizes are not being written back to the .ini when the application closes.
Some changes to the functions are saved.
Lets hope a revision will fix this.

Thanks Keith