SDRPlay Duo no HF ;)

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
joedub1421

SDRPlay Duo no HF ;)

Post by joedub1421 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:06 pm

New to Ham Radio etc, figured I would try out the Duo in listening mode while I wait to take my Tech/General exams next week and wait for my rig to be delivered. So please be gentle....Here's my setup at the moment. Working with indoor loops in a fairly big city area just outside of New Orleans. I can get amazing AM of course, as well as PSK signals. Even today on field day not getting anything on 10/20 or 40 meters. Just a fairly constant noise floor. So not sure if I'm missing something or just not understanding SDRUno enough. I've followed quite a few guides.

10/20/40 Loop antennas from a MFJ-936B Loop Tuner (I know it does nothing so guessing it's acting a pass through) to a MFJ-1708B-SDR then PC. I even tried a 20 meter Hi-Z loop like they say to do and still nothing. To much local noise?

Regards,
Joe W
Last edited by joedub1421 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

g1hbe

Re: SDRPlay Duo no HF ;)

Post by g1hbe » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:50 pm

If you can post a screenshot of SDRUno clearly showing your settings it would help a lot. In the meantime I'd remove all external tuners etc and see if that does the trick.

Andy

someYguy

Post by someYguy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:17 pm

Most indoor loops are directional, some with deep nulls(lower signals) in the perpendicular plane(broadside) of the loop. You can often rotate these antennas such that noise is decreased and signals are rising nicely above the noise floor. It is also possible to rotate for maximum strength of the signal of interest.

So unless band conditions are horrible, you should be able to hear at least some ham signals with what you have.....

joedub1421

Post by joedub1421 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:46 am

someYguy wrote:Most indoor loops are directional, some with deep nulls(lower signals) in the perpendicular plane(broadside) of the loop. You can often rotate these antennas such that noise is decreased and signals are rising nicely above the noise floor. It is also possible to rotate for maximum strength of the signal of interest.

So unless band conditions are horrible, you should be able to hear at least some ham signals with what you have.....
Was able to catch some faint signals on 40 meters tonight. Will start playing with my antenna positions. Appreciate the help.
Last edited by joedub1421 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.