Using SDRPlay with a HF Transceiver

General discussions
JackSDR

Using SDRPlay with a HF Transceiver

Post by JackSDR » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:21 pm

Received my SDRPlay about a week ago. Great buying experience, shipping was very fast, quick setup and works it great.

My question is it possible to leave the SDRPlay box attached when I transmit on a HF radio?

I have it connected to a Kenwood 590SG HF transceiver's antenna out terminal.
Works great with HDSDR on receive. I can sync the radio and SDR using Ham Radio Deluxe or Omnirig.

The next step would be to allow it to stay in line when transmitting.
I spoke with another 590SG owner who uses a dongle/upconverter SDR setup and he has had no problems leaving the dongle and upconverter attached while transmitting.

The 590SG's antenna out terminal is disconnected by the radio in TX but the SDRplay box would still be appx 50' from the transmitting antenna and would pick up a very strong signal. Is that a concern?

If so trying to think of possible solutions....I understand the SDRplay has band filtering, would switching the SDRPlay receive to a UHF or VHF frequency while transmitting on HF protect the box? Or switching to the gap from 380-430? Or reducing the gain to minimum?

Any comments or suggestions?
Last edited by JackSDR on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

NN4F

Re: Using SDRPlay with a HF Transceiver

Post by NN4F » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:17 am

Hi Jack,

I use teh same setup with my FTdx3000 and SDRConsole software, the radio has two options, IF out and RX out, I mostly use the RX out, which same as yours is disconnected during TX, the external radio option in SDRConsole allows you to turn down the gain and volume during TX, I have it set to set the gain to -90 db and mute the volume also, I run at full power 1500watts and teh antenna is on a 60ft tower above the shack (in rf exposure limits) and I have NO problems whatsoever, have used the SDRPlay and my older RTL's and have never had an issue... you should be fine.

Some people do use a switch box, but that is mainly if you are connecting antennas directly rather than from the back of the radio like your DRV plug...

HDSDR will allow you to mute on TX also...

so have fun...
Paul- NN4F
Last edited by NN4F on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
--
Paul Jones - NN4F, Charleston SC
http://www.facebook.com/groups/SDRPlay

JackSDR

Post by JackSDR » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:11 pm

Thanks Paul, I gave it a go and all seems fine as you reported.

Was great on the weekend watching all the contest activity.
The SDRPlay is best $150 I have spent in this hobby for some time.

oz457oz457

Post by oz457oz457 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:32 pm

I'll receive my sdrplay shortly.
Is it safe to use a manual antenna switcher and switch to the transceiver manually and leave the sdrplay on the other connector of the hand switch? Connector A for kenwood transceiver (100 W) and connector B for the antenna of the SDRplay.
It sais that the SDRplay may be damaged when too close to a transceiver?

Kind regards to all
Last edited by oz457oz457 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

jon

Post by jon » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:17 pm

oz457oz457 wrote:I'll receive my sdrplay shortly.
Is it safe to use a manual antenna switcher and switch to the transceiver manually and leave the sdrplay on the other connector of the hand switch? Connector A for kenwood transceiver (100 W) and connector B for the antenna of the SDRplay.
It sais that the SDRplay may be damaged when too close to a transceiver?

Kind regards to all
That should be fine since the SDRplay will be isolated. Jon
Last edited by jon on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

adams449

Post by adams449 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:50 pm

I am also running the Kenwood TS-590S and have just ordered the SDRPLAY. Can I use the rec terminal on the back of the 590 to connect to the SDRPLAY and have the radio and software track each other? I was going to use a DX Engineering Switch Box and was wondering which would be better, since both kill the RX on transmit. Any suggestions or info on interfacing to the TS-590S would be appreciated.
Last edited by adams449 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Harry

Post by Harry » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:46 pm

adams449 wrote:I am also running the Kenwood TS-590S and have just ordered the SDRPLAY. Can I use the rec terminal on the back of the 590 to connect to the SDRPLAY and have the radio and software track each other? I was going to use a DX Engineering Switch Box and was wondering which would be better, since both kill the RX on transmit. Any suggestions or info on interfacing to the TS-590S would be appreciated.
There may be some differences between the TS-590S and SG models. One of which may be the S does not automatically switch to the RX ANT when transmitting. Hence, many who use an SDR with the S's RX ANT port use a switch box such as those from Elad and DXengineering. There are 3 methods for connecting an SDR to the TS-590S. The first is connect the SDR to the RX ANT port, use a switch box and splitter. This is rather easy to do and does not require any surgery on the rig. However, the switch box can be expensive and there is considerable clutter with the splitter, cables, switch box, etc. The second is to tap into the rig's IF. There are two different points where this can be done. Both, however, require some surgery to the rig and not for those without the skills and courage to do so. Finally, there is a third approach that is brain dead simple, requires no surgery to the rig and is easily reversible. This mod was published by the Birmingham Alabama Crystal Radio Group. You can go to the following link for details: http://www.crystalradio.us/projects/ts-590s-rx-mod.htm . Essentially you make a simple cable that attaches to the 2-pin jumper CN101. This jumper is a 20dB attenuator directly in the rig's receive path. If for some reason a user wanted to add 20dB attenuation they would remove the jumper. However, since it's directly in the receive path an SDR connected to it will "see" what the 590S sees but over a broader spectrum. The most difficult part of this mod is finding a 2-pin header to connect to your cable that will fit the jumper. I used an old wireless phone battery connector. Clipped it off with about 0.25" lead, twisted the wires together to short the connection, soldered it to the the cable. It is important that you use RG-316 coax as it can withstand the heat from soldering yet small enough to fit through the back of the radio's cabinet. I've done this mod to my TS-590S and it works just fine. Naturally, you perform this mod (and any mod) at your own risk. It is, however, simple and reversible so long as you place the jumper in a safe place should you want to return the rig to its original state.

Hope this helps...Harry WE1X
Last edited by Harry on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

JackSDR

Post by JackSDR » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:20 pm

I posted the original question back in July. Wanted to follow up...
The SDRPLay and TS590SG work perfect together for receive and transmit.
In fact, if you own a TS590SG I can not see any reason not to buy a SDRPlay box. It is so easy to use with the newer 590SG model's Ant Out connector. Once you get used to having a waterfall display when operating on HF you will never want to use a radio without it.

So I post a new question today... many people I tell about my SDRPlay setup want one but they don't have a Ant out connector on their radio.
Could someone who uses a eLad or DX Engineering switch box describe how it is setup and used.
Can you use one antenna and receive on both the original radio and SDRPlay or is receive only on the SDR play?

Another question...
Is it possible to use more than one SDRPlay / HDSDR setup on the same computer or do they conflict with each other?

jon

Post by jon » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:01 pm

JackSDR wrote:I posted the original question back in July. Wanted to follow up...
The SDRPLay and TS590SG work perfect together for receive and transmit.
In fact, if you own a TS590SG I can not see any reason not to buy a SDRPlay box. It is so easy to use with the newer 590SG model's Ant Out connector. Once you get used to having a waterfall display when operating on HF you will never want to use a radio without it.

So I post a new question today... many people I tell about my SDRPlay setup want one but they don't have a Ant out connector on their radio.
Could someone who uses a eLad or DX Engineering switch box describe how it is setup and used.
Can you use one antenna and receive on both the original radio and SDRPlay or is receive only on the SDR play?

Another question...
Is it possible to use more than one SDRPlay / HDSDR setup on the same computer or do they conflict with each other?
This article may be relevant http://arcticpeak.blogspot.no/2015/10/h ... -with.html

Definitely possible to have multiple copies of HDSDR running and each additional copy will see an additional RSP plugged into a USB port. The Facebook group have several people doing this if you need more details.
Last edited by jon on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

AnnHampton

Post by AnnHampton » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:49 am

I ordered my SDRPlay already and I am going to receive it by the end of the week. I am pretty much excited actually. I have been reading the comments above, and these gave me insights on what to expect and maybe how to tune the controls of the device. I have heard that some people who first received the SDRPlays, especially those who are not familiar had a difficulty navigating. Anyway, I hope my case will be different. I think I have to research more on the HF Transceiver.
Last edited by AnnHampton on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Ann Hampton
A real estate coach and a mother to two beautiful daughters, Kelsey and Ava