W3GAS reviews the SDRplay RSP

General discussions
jon

W3GAS reviews the SDRplay RSP

Post by jon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:17 am

W3GAS has written this review which includes details of remote access using SDR Console

http://www.w3gas.com/SDRplayTutorialReview.html
Last edited by jon on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

g1hbe

Re: W3GAS reviews the SDRplay RSP

Post by g1hbe » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:49 am

Hmm. Nice review, but it is possible to get a bit over-excited when you have something new in your shack. In the paragraph where he refers to analogue scanners and the reception of police and fire utilities, he states that with a conventional scanner you would need 'loads of antennas and pre-ampifiers to even receive local activity'. This makes it sound as though the SDRPlay (and other SDR devices) can somehow magically receive these things without! He does return to the subject later and make some sensible suggestions for UHF antennas though.
Also I would take issue with his effusive recommendation of SDR Console. I've tried to come to grips with this program many times and found it over-complicated and frustrating. Steering new SDR users towards it is not a wise move IMO as it would be enough to put some people right off! I much prefer HDSDR, but of course that's just my opinion.
Last edited by g1hbe on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Andy

13dka

Post by 13dka » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:38 pm

Well the RSP is so sensitive it starts receiving when you show it an image of an antenna! The downside is, sometimes it sort of returns the favor when you connect a real one. :mrgreen:
Last edited by 13dka on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

WhoaNellie

Post by WhoaNellie » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:32 am

This is a good review. Although I normally have the SDRPlay RSP connected to a small Windows 10 laptop, I don't have any problems running it on an XP desktop - not sure why this review indicates that 'unless you still use XP, you have the basics in place for an amazing journey into "radio surfing". ' Plus as a general SWLer HDSDR works just fine for my needs, of course others may want to do more - that so much software works with the SDRPlay RSP is a real bonus.
Last edited by WhoaNellie on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.