Some questions regarding Mirics FM-DAB Player and API

General discussions
Andi-84

Some questions regarding Mirics FM-DAB Player and API

Post by Andi-84 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:28 pm

Dear community,

I recently started using the Mirics SDR API (as I'm looking for a replacement of cheap RTL2832-based devices).

When trying the Mirics FM-DAB Application provided via sdrplay.com (Version 2.1.0s) I encountered some problems.

I a using Windows 8.1 (64 Bit) and when launching the FM-DAB Radio.exe, it opens its window, but does not seem to be usable (finds no channels).

When checking debug output via Sysinternals DebugView, I get the following:

Code: Select all

[7928] Operating System Not Supported
[7928] FM button enabled 3
[7928] --------------------------------------------- BUTTON FM CLICK ------------------------------
[7928] --------------------------------------------- BUTTON DAB CLICK ------------------------------ 
[7928] --------------------------------------------- BUTTON FM CLICK ------------------------------
[7928] RETURN FROM FM BUTTON CLICK
[7928] --------------------------------------------- BUTTON DAB CLICK ------------------------------ 
[7928] RETURN FROM FM BUTTON CLICK
Seems it's not compatible with Windows 8.1?

When I enable Windows 7 compatibility option, I get the following error message:
---------------------------
Mirics FlexiTV
An audio device is disconnected.
Please restart FMDAB player once audio device is connected
OK

And in DebugView:

Code: Select all

[7928] StopFM done
[8092] SHIMVIEW: ShimInfo(Complete) 
[8092] FTH: (8092): *** Fault tolerant heap shim applied to current process. This is usually due to previous crashes. ***
[8092] FM button enabled 3
[8092] --------------------------------------------- BUTTON FM CLICK ------------------------------
[8092] -----------FM Speakers disabled 1 ----------
[8092] StopFM done
Will there be an update of the FM / DAB Software to make it compatible with Windows 8.1?

As I've created a DAB Player program for the Realtek RTL2832-based devices (called "DAB Player", ref. link in my signature), I would also be interested in an API / Documentation on how to use Mirics' DABdemod.dll and FMdemod.dll in own software.

Best regards,
Andi
My software: DAB Player

sdrplay

Re: Some questions regarding Mirics FM-DAB Player and API

Post by sdrplay » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:04 am

Hello,

The FM/DAB and DVB-T software is available from SDRplay under license from Mirics for your own personal use ONLY. We are unable to support these products. The release notes (which are available in the install at C:\Program Files\MiricsFlexiTV\x86\FMDABPlayer\FlexiTV_FMDABPlayer_V2.0.2a_ReleaseNote.pdf) lists that this is only supported under Windows 7 (32Bit)

Best regards,

SDRplay

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:01 pm

Slightly off-topic as DAB Player isn't for SDRPlay - but thanks Andi fot the software. I've been using it with an RTL stick and it should be excellent for DAB DX-ing. It would be even better if the Transmitter Identification Database data that is supposed to be transmitted was also decoded and displayed in the DAB-info window. Then DX-ers would know exactly which transmitter in an SFN was being received.

Maybe one day a version for the SDRPlay may appear?

David

Andi-84

Post by Andi-84 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:46 pm

DaveB wrote:...
I'd like to do that, but:
For this I would need an API documentation of MIrics' demod DLLs (DABdemod.dll and FMdemod.dll). Up to now I could not manage to get it.

Back in 2012 I got an API documentation from Realtek for their RTKDAB.dll and RTKFM.dll - wich allowed me to create the DAB Player software.

Best regards,
Andi

Andi-84

Post by Andi-84 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:38 am

DaveB wrote:Slightly off-topic as DAB Player isn't for SDRPlay - but thanks Andi fot the software.
I'm still trying to get an API documentation for the FM / DAB demods from Mirics - up to now not with much success.

Here's their last reply (16th of March):
The demods were developed some time ago and the people who developed them are no longer with the company, so we are not in a position to support them. If I can find some documentation that might help you, I will forward it on, but I am not able to make any promises.

Best regards,

Mirics Support

Best regards,
Andi
Last edited by Andi-84 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Andi-84

Post by Andi-84 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:44 pm

I indeed got a reply from Mirics support today regarding API information for the FM / DAB demods.
As I said before bear in mind that the people who developed this are no longer with the company so we cannot guarantee that we can support you if you have problems but we would try.
^^
Many thanks for that. :)

I'll have a look at the API and check how useful it is (and how it can potentially used to allow my DAB Player program to be used together with Mirics-based hardware) in the next weeks.

Best regards,
Andi
Last edited by Andi-84 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

LarryLuther

Post by LarryLuther » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:59 am

Mirics FM-DAB Player has to be run in Windows 7 compatibility mode.
I am using Windows 10. I found it at "C:\Program Files\MiricsFlexiTV\x86\FMDABPlayer\FM-DAB Radio.exe".
Right click on executable and select "Troubleshoot compatibility".
Don't select automatic fix, go through manual process and select Windows 7 compatibility mode.

P.S. I'm having a lot of fun with it.
Last edited by LarryLuther on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.