Linux software

Add useful snippets of code or links to entire SDR projects.
IW2DHW

Linux software

Post by IW2DHW » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:41 pm

After some time of using SDRPlay with Linux this is a summary of available programs:

GQRX
Current gr-osmosdr compiled enabling SDRPlay support (lib/sdrplay/sdrplay_source_c.cc copied from SDRPlay GIT repo) is working but sometime I get out-of-sync samples and I need to restart program.
There is support for NR audio process but no notch filter.
I am unable to get GQRX working with SoapySDR. This device don't come up in available devices and there is no documentation on setting it manually

CubicSDR
No problem at all with SDRPlay and SoapySDR. No support of audio DSP (NB, NR, notch). Very young support for hamlib for controlling CubicSDR as a rig. For now the best choice.

HDSDR
Working with Wine and recent API/ExtIO using fake DLL from kazzkutya but not working with new "station name " feature. Unable to control it using hamlib.

SDR-J
not so good for SW reception. Better for FM and DAB/DAB+ reception.

QtRadio
No SDRPlay support. Someone in support group is interested in supporting SDRPlay but. for now, no code to test.

Quisk
No SDRPlay support. But open for supporting different rig. Light program. Is someone interested in integrating SoapySDR/SDRPlay in Quisk?
There is NB, NR and notch filter.

I am not aware of any other program for SDR reception supporting SDRPlay

Regards
Franco Spinelli
IW2DHW
Last edited by IW2DHW on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

bplipschitz

Re: Linux software

Post by bplipschitz » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:56 am

What flavor of Linux are you using?

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, and can get CubicSDR, HDSDR and some others working. GQRX seems to be a pain in the butt -- it sees the radio, but there are no controls that should be present on the right hand side of the GUI. I would really like to put GQRX through its paces, but the build and set up are pretty painful compare to other setups.

CubicSDR just doesn't really exploit the potential of the radio, so is nice for casual listening, but not much else.
Last edited by bplipschitz on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

IW2DHW

Post by IW2DHW » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:45 am

bplipschitz wrote:What flavor of Linux are you using?
Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit but I have done some test also on Ubuntu 15.10 64 bit.

GQRX can be compiled using a correct gr-osmosdr build (with SDRPlay patch) and Cmake, not qmake.
After this, there is some problems in sync (many frequency change need a restart). And there is only some NR, no notch.

CubicSDR is too young. There is no audio DSP and only a beginning of rig control

SDRPlay staff is rewriting SoapySDRPlay module, as stated in some messages. So we need a programmer for interfacing SoapySDR to Quisk.
Quisk have a GUI in Python, DSP in C, audio DSP, variable filter, and is used for other SDR, also for TX.

Regards
Franco Spinelli
IW2DHW

bplipschitz

Post by bplipschitz » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:48 pm

Hi Franco, I've got a dedicated machine for the SDRplay, and I boot both ubuntu 14.04 and 15.10. I've got GQRX running on both, as well as CubicSDR and Fldigi.

Mostly, however, I run HDSDR on wine. While none of them really seem to exploit the potential of the SDRplay, HDSDR is the easiest to use for now.

I really appreciate all the hard work AH6DL has put into getting the osmocom bit of software to meld with SDRplay, and I *really* would like to see a native linux program, but GQRX just really isn't it, yet. I can't get it to work as well as a simple AM receiver that I kludged together in GnuRadio.

I'll keep beating on GQRX to see if I can make it work. I'm not a programmer, but have built/administrated Unix/Linux systems for about 15 years, so I know my way around the software.

Like everyone else, getting enough time to sit down and work on these things is the limiting factor for me.

Good luck!
Last edited by bplipschitz on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

IW2DHW

Post by IW2DHW » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Yes, this is Linux situation
Also my desktop PC can be boot in 14.04 and in 15.10 and also on my PC is running CubicSDR, GQRX ans HDSDR

The only problem in HDSDR is with CAT control. I am unable to get it working with a virtual COM port (using FIFO, Socat, etc.)

SoapySDR is, for now, better choice for SDRPlay native control.

For this we need an interface between SoapySDR (better choice for SDRPlay control) and Quisk (better SDR program in Linux)

Also I am not a programmer. I can play with Python, and have done a H101 interface to Quisk, but I am unable to program in C and Quisk require a C module for getting I&Q samples from USB. Only soundcard and a limited set of network connected SDR hardware are supported natively in Quisk.

Regards

Franco Spinelli
IW2DHW