SDRplay and useable software ?

Post your feedback here
vipersan

SDRplay and useable software ?

Post by vipersan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:20 am

Hi there ..
I have just received my SDRplay hardware today and so far am impressed with it ...but am now a bit worried and confused.
I am no expert with SDR and previously used an RTL usb stick with SDR# to pick up and decode weather imagers from the noaa sats with a homebrew qfhx antenna..
I assumed wrongly it seems that I could use my new hardware with SDR# but it appears not to support SDRplay ?
Thus I cannot use my existing setup ...
I therefore wondered if a similar setup using WXtoIMG ...Orbitron ...etc is possible using HDSDR ? ....but I'm not sure if this SDR software even accommodates plugins ?
Failing that ..is it possible to get hold of an earlier version of SDR# that _does_ support my new SDRplay hardware ?
Advice on how to proceed would be most appreciated as I'd hate to think I'd wasted £130 trying to get a better setup than I had previously for less than £20 ..
Nice hardware ..but if it is restricted to just radio signal reception without the ability to use plugins for data etc...then is all but useless to me..

links to any tutorials would be appreciated ..as I am very much a novice when it comes to SDR..
rgds
vipersan
Last edited by vipersan on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

K4KDR

Re: SDRplay and useable software ?

Post by K4KDR » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:33 am

No worries... HDSDR works great for WX sats and any other kind of RF you might want to receive.

To channel the received audio out to an app like WXtoIMG, just download VB Cable from:

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/

... and you're all set!

-Scott, K4KDR
Montpelier, VA USA
Last edited by K4KDR on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

vipersan

Post by vipersan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:47 am

Many thanks for the reply ..
good to know that I can use HDSDR ...but I figured it was a little more complex than just piping the audio to WXtoIMG ..
Previously I had needed Orbitron to accommodate the correct frequency when shifting between the noaa birds ...and this also corrected frequency for Doppler shift also ..
Are you saying that I no longer need Orbiton ?
As I said I am no expert so I need simple explanations..
rgds
Vipersan

13dka

Post by 13dka » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:25 am

Sadly SDR# is the only software with a plug-in architecture so far. :( IMHO the best way to make sure a software not being developed by an army of developers can get certain functionality in a reasonable time span.
vipersan wrote: Failing that ..is it possible to get hold of an earlier version of SDR# that _does_ support my new SDRplay hardware ?
While linking to anything like this is probably not endorsed by anyone, here you go: viewtopic.php?t=248 - the good news is that even the old Orbitron plug-in might work in that version(never tried it tho).
Last edited by 13dka on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

mwallendorf

Post by mwallendorf » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:26 pm

You can also use SDR# version 1361 or before. Send me an e-mail and I can send it to you in a zip file but it is about 6mb. My information is good on QRZ. Like K4KDR mentioned, you can use HDSDR as well. That is the software I like along with SDR Console.

Mark
KM4AHP
Last edited by mwallendorf on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

vipersan

Post by vipersan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:35 pm

Thanks guys for the replies ..
I have downloaded SDR~1361 ..and can confirm it is working ok now with SDRplay ...
I had to run the extio again and ascociate with SDR# instead of HDSDR..
Easy enough to do so both SDR softwares will remain in my system ..if slightly inconvenient to switch between them..
rgds
vipersan