VAC Connection

Post your feedback here
AB5R

VAC Connection

Post by AB5R » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:06 pm

Gentlemen, I feel embarrassed to ask this question, but I need help connecting VAC from my SDRPlay software to MultiPSK software. I have over many many years connected external radios to a computer using the Line In port without difficulty. In fact, I am running an external dedicated weather APT receiver now connected to the Line IN.

I am 82 and I guess that age has slipped up on me (not a guess but a fact).

I am using Windows 10 and have installed the VAC (purchased) software, but am a loss figuring how to connect. I realize from reading other's posts that it should be simple. I tried reading the VAC manual 50-75 pages, but its like understanding the workings of a clock when you only ask what time it is. I do not understand what a REPEATER is or why would need one. I am at a total loss and completely frustrated.

I certainly would appreciate any guidance, either here or via email ( gp_ab5r@outlook.com) IF this is to complicated to solve by the written word, I understand. Thank you. Jerry
Last edited by AB5R on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Sasan

Re: VAC Connection

Post by Sasan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:36 am

These "Virtual Audio" interface apps (like VAC and VB-Audio) are installed on Windows as a virtual soundcard, so you can redirect your sound output to these, instead of the default soundcard which ends in a speaker or headphone. Now that you have sent your sound output to one of these apps, you can get that sound as input on another software (like MultiPSK) and consume it for whatever reason (digital mode decoding is the most common use for us)
After you install VAC (or VB-Audio), they can be selected in each SDR app, for audio input or output.
In SDRSharp, there is an "Audio" section which you can select the desired audio output interface.
In HDSDR, you should click on the "Soundcard" button (or you can press the F5 key as the shortcut key) and select the desired interface
In SDR Console, you should select the "Playback Device" from VFO's "Audio" settings.

Now on the decoding app (CwGet, MultiPSK, MixW, etc), you should select VAC as your input audio.
In MultiPSK, go to "Configuration screen" and click on "Sound Card (Input)".
I've uploaded 4 screenshots from the above programs' settings in this address: http://imgur.com/a/cdN9b

Does this explanation solve your problem?
Last edited by Sasan on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
DF2HF, NM9A, EP2C

Sasan

Post by Sasan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:05 pm

I just found a video on Youtube, titled "SDR-Radio Console with Multipsk and VAC" and posted 4 days ago.
Check this out too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkWzExec6FM
Last edited by Sasan on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
DF2HF, NM9A, EP2C

AB5R

Post by AB5R » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:59 pm

Thank you SASAN. I think that I have it connected as I did receive audio in MultiPSK. Now, I have to figure what digital signal that I am receiving, how to configure & run MultiPSK. Thank you for help. I really do not like those videos where it show lightning fast depictions of one computer screen after another with audio explanations. But, as I say, I think that I have it now.

Regards,
Jerry

AB5R

Post by AB5R » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:47 pm

NOW, I have another problem. After using the VAC and setting the Soundcard back to SPEAKERS, it is supposed to automatically switch to HEADPHONES if I plug them in. It does not and remains on SPEAKERS only, no audio in phones.

Rebooting machine does not help. FRUSTRATING.

Umanyar

Post by Umanyar » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:13 pm

I'm just going to pull out my old Yamaha receiver and buy a toslink that should do the trick...just realized my soundcard has a toslink adapter so why not just make a RAC(real audio cable) :D
Last edited by Umanyar on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.