Driver fails to install - Windows 8.1

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
ToymasterUK

Driver fails to install - Windows 8.1

Post by ToymasterUK » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:30 am

Hi,

Just received my SDRplay yesterday and working great on my old MS Vista PC but not on my Win 8.1 PC.

The driver fails to install when I plug the device in with the message: This operation requires an interactive window station

I have Googled this and tried a number of fixes including uninstalling a number of my audio drivers and installing the SDRplay driver first before checking for new devices and installing the other drivers.

I'm stuck...
Any Ideas or revised driver?

Thanks,
Adrian

ToymasterUK

Re: Driver fails to install - Windows 8.1

Post by ToymasterUK » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:48 am

UPDATE: Driver installs just fine on my XYL's Win 8.1 Notebook.

Now playing spot the difference other than ASUS vs Dell ----- ?

Adrian

ToymasterUK

Post by ToymasterUK » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:57 am

More: Spent several hours yesterday running diags on my PC and nothing found.
Even tried installing the driver with the machine in minimal safe mode without success.
Removed all sound drivers and restarted the PC with the SDRplay attached and put the install in the windows system drivers folder and tried a manual install...
Changed numerous advanced system settings.....
Still no go.....

Other drivers install ok including VAC for use with HDSDR and RTL - SDR using Zadig.....
So for some reason my Asus / Win 8.1 system does not like the Mirics driver.

Otherwise the RSP is performing well on my other system with some interesting HF results even with a small 2m / 70cm wip.

Any ideas to try or a different driver? Believe Mirics Flexitv driver is not compatible with the RSP?

Adrian.

TyTanYGraig

Post by TyTanYGraig » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:32 pm

That's really weird! I installed it on my wife's Win 8.1 Acer PC without any problems. Do you know if you are using a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port. I read somewhere that there were some compatibility issues with USB 3.0 at one point.

I don't believe the Mirics FlexiTV driver is compatible as it doesn't provide HF support.

Quimquim

Post by Quimquim » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi ToymasterUK,
did you get your driver installed? Do you have the same problem with other drivers? ( video card, sound card etc... )

I have dig on the net about the message you get. Many windows users get that message when they tried to install a driver.

About what I read, it can be caused by a corruption in windows.

There is a utility in windows you can try to check the integrity of the system files. ( sfc.exe ) "System File Checker"

It is executed via a command prompt run as an administrator.

See the link below about the explanations of this utility on microsoft's site.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en

Hope it could help !! :idea:
Stay tuned !!!! :mrgreen:

Quimquim :P

jon

Post by jon » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:06 pm

yes, I was going to add that there seems to be two common problems that generate this.

1. An antivirus or firewall problem. Make sure that both are disabled during installation
2. Missing or corrupted system files. To fix this get up a command prompt up and type sfc/scannow and press enter. Let the utility check the system files and fix any system related file problems.

Jon

ToymasterUK

Post by ToymasterUK » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:31 pm

Thanks for your replies.... Much appreciated

During my attempts I did:

Disable all security and all admin notifications / intervention requirements.
Ran sfc which didn't reveal anything that I considered significant and did not fix anything, although I think this needs further investigation.

It is a USB 3 port and other devices install fine when connected.

My money would be on a corrupted/ bad/ missing system file right now even though the notebook is only a few months old - might even reload the computer but resisting this right now.

It is like the driver install is asking for some user intervention screen that cannot happen on my machine and is not required one the successful one.

I will carry on investigating as and when time permits and keep you posted.

Adrian

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:58 am

Could you try a USB2 port just to see if that is having an effect?

Thanks,

SDRplay Support

ToymasterUK

Post by ToymasterUK » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:31 pm

sdrplay wrote:Could you try a USB2 port just to see if that is having an effect?

Thanks,

SDRplay Support

Now that is an interesting one.....

USB3 is downward compatible but sometimes when using a particular USB2 device it is not unknown for a message to appear although I have not seen this so far with devices connected to my ASUS.
I also use an RTL-SDR dongle just fine. New one one from Cosy Cave with the R820T2 chip but I have used older ones also.

My wife's Win 8.1 Del Ultra-book is a year old and has USB2 ports and as I say loads the Mirics driver OK.

Let me investigate further.

Cheers
Adrian

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:05 pm

Can you also confirm that you are using the latest API driver from the website (1.3.1)?

Thanks,

SDRplay Support