Sdr-console V3 Preview is out

General discussions
NN4F

Sdr-console V3 Preview is out

Post by NN4F » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:55 pm

Last edited by NN4F on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason
--
Paul Jones - NN4F, Charleston SC
http://www.facebook.com/groups/SDRPlay

Fractal1

Re: Sdr-console V3 Preview is out

Post by Fractal1 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:59 pm

I was eagerly anticipating this release. However, it won't run on xp. The error says it's not a valid win32 application (same error i get when trying to run cubicsdr). disappointing.
Last edited by Fractal1 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

NN4F

Post by NN4F » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:19 pm

It needs at lease Win7, as XP is no longer supported, and the new design will need a minimum of Win7, consider it time to upgrade?

Paul - NN4F
Last edited by NN4F on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
--
Paul Jones - NN4F, Charleston SC
http://www.facebook.com/groups/SDRPlay

CaptainNemo

Post by CaptainNemo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:37 pm

V2 was good, V3 is even better.
Just testing few minutes on HF this afternoon...
Installing on win764 was a piece of cake.

Nice job!
Last edited by CaptainNemo on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

13dka

Post by 13dka » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:21 pm

I got used to v2 over the past weeks and it's what I use a lot on shortwave by now, installed v3 yesterday and I must say I'm impressed by the new look and feel of v3. The UI looks more modern, cleaner and crisper (the spectrum display is just plain awesome) and some basic things like dialing in a frequency now adapt the behavior of other softwares (no resetting of digits to the right when you change one digit), it addresses the issues with today's insane resolutions on small screens (no reading glasses needed on my 12" Vaio to use the SDR), the audio thread seems to have priority over the graphics now (dropouts occur in the waterfall/spectrum rather than the audio). Very nice.

But of course it's obviously still in an early stage, some things are still missing, it's still looks like VHF/UHF (or non-ham/BC applications in general) is an afterthought and it still requires some action when I tune beyond the selected spectrum width (which I find quite inconvenient, it's like tuning a Wadley loop receiver). The frequency management ("Favorites") has been improved (folders instead of 100 memories) but it still feels a bit cumbersome and I really hope the author will look at the various cool methods other softwares overlay memory/database information onto the spectrum display. There are some minor stability (got it to hang or get garbled graphics a few times) and performance (laptop fans are revving up a lot, 6GB!!! commit charge - memory leak?) issues. I'm getting strangely buzzing, "digital" sounding artifacts in the audio when the AGC pulls up the gain.

I really, really hope all of that can be addressed because the way it starts out is soooo promising.

Edit: Meanwhile I found out what's causing the odd audio artifacts - it's strong-ish (S9) stations up to 10kHz away, so there might be something going wrong with the DSP. Around 20 occurrences of hangs and CTDs later, and manually terminating SDR Console processes not unloading gracefully after closing v3 (I just had to reboot the computer to get rid of a process not terminating at all) I'd say I won't try it anymore until I know where I can leave the bug reports without having to jump through hoops.
Last edited by 13dka on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

GrahamC

Post by GrahamC » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:47 pm

Downloaded and gave V3 a try.

Initial impressions are good. Installation was smooth, creating a radio was easy and intuitive.

However, how to change frequencies is not clear - left or right click, scroll well ????? was only able to move the frequency scale along the bottom to get large frequency changes and then the program seemed to "freeze" and had to stop and start using the buttons (not exiting and restarting the program).

A couple of times the program did just exit on it's own but quickly restarted and back to it's "normal" self.

It's default layout is very SDRSharp reminiscent which is also like GQRX in some ways. Not so bad, relatively intuitive to use.

Doesn't have that "heavy" and too many feature feel of v2, so far feels light and snappy.

Not so bad overall for a pre-release version. Is it an alpha or beta release? In any case, a very good start.

I am running v3 on a HP Compaq dc7900 SFF with intel Core 2 Quad cpu Q8400 at 2.66GHz, 4GB RAm and 32 bit Windows 7 Pro

cheers, Graham ve3gtc
Last edited by GrahamC on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:38 pm

I've downloaded it to a Windows 8.1 machine and tried it on SDRPLay only. I look forward to further releases with keen interest especially when RDS decoding is incorporated. I'm sure the test team are busy scrutinising it to the nth degree to weed out the bugs etc. I wonder if Simon will get the RDS side done before the start of the SpE season? A matrix of 6 or 9 frequencies (or more) each with its own RDS decoding will be awesome. Once the RDS preview appears I'l try it on the Win7 SFF PC.

BTW - amusing incident while testing - SDRPlay appeared not to be picking up signals below around 70 MHz. It took a bit of head-scratching before I spotted I still had a DAB-FM-UHF triplexer in line (aerial into FM port)! I found this to be a good substitute for a Band 2 bandpass filter - with the unused ports terminated - but didn't realise how good it was at removing HF signals.
Last edited by DaveB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

CaptainNemo

Post by CaptainNemo » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:45 pm

SDR-console V3 is going to be my favourite with SdrPlay for HF (SWLing).

I have some requirements/suggestions to improve the User Interface.
Anyone knows if "suggestions" are welcome and where to post?
Maybe we can share them here before submitting to the developer?

Gio
Last edited by CaptainNemo on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Harry

Post by Harry » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:49 pm

CaptainNemo wrote:SDR-console V3 is going to be my favourite with SdrPlay for HF (SWLing).

I have some requirements/suggestions to improve the User Interface.
Anyone knows if "suggestions" are welcome and where to post?
Maybe we can share them here before submitting to the developer?

Gio
Gio,

Join the SDR-Radio Yahoo Group. Simon Brown (SDR-Radio author) actively monitors and participates in the group. Great guy. Great group.

Harry
Last edited by Harry on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

CaptainNemo

Post by CaptainNemo » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:54 pm

Thanks, I'll do.