ADSB News?

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
fe8769

Re: ADSB News?

Post by fe8769 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:48 pm

I have better results than the rtl sdr key . I'm using core 5 yo core I5 with windows 7 32 . I send the result to VRS . I m using a inmarsat home made patch antenna installed close to the roof windows . 24 hours running with no error
Last edited by fe8769 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi slongani,

As you know there are a number of versions of dump1090 that currently exist and we have started with a couple of them to provide support for the RSP. These are just our first cut at ADS-B and a range of improvements are in the pipeline. The RSP can support a number of modes and we are evaluating the best combination of setup for ADS-B reception. I'm not sure what OS and hardware you are using but I'm assuming you are using a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 as the mode implemented in dump1090 on our github site will produce overflow errors on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3.

Also, both of these versions have a hard coded value for gain reduction. This may not be optimal for every situation, the antenna, location, environment will make each reception case slightly different. On the windows version we have done some more work and implemented the command line options so that people can change the gain values and some of the other options to try to tune to their specific situation.

We are also continuing to work on other versions of dump1090 and are optimising the API so that this system will run well on a Raspberry Pi 2/3.

Temporarily you could change the 9 in the following line...

https://github.com/SDRplay/dump1090_sdr ... 090.c#L585

which will change the gain reduction value (remember this is how many dB below maximum gain you are), we would not recommend a lower value than 4 or higher value than 28, unless you are using an external LNA, in which case a value of higher than 28 may be appropriate.

When we have an optimal system we will retro fit it to these versions of dump1090 as well as any new versions we implement. In tests here I have not seen the results you are getting so I'm sure your result can be improved. You should also see an improvement using the Windows version which you can download from here: http://www.sdrplay.com/windows.html

We are committed to producing a good ADS-B solution for our customers.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support
Last edited by sdrplay on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

9a4db

Post by 9a4db » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:53 pm

My test on Win dump1090 version with --modeac option included,
show some Mode A transponders
but not single one in Mode C.

Any one have better results?
Last edited by 9a4db on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

13dka

Post by 13dka » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:10 pm

Just got back to playing with ADS-B (looking for niches for the RSP1, now that the RSP2 is coming :lol: ) and wanted to report back that all is fine now, ADSBScope works by just changing the client port and (woohoo!) GlobeS runs as well (with modesmixer2 handing over the data from the SDRplay version of dump1090). SBSplotter didn't need any new configuration and just started plotting - happy camper here! :mrgreen: