v3.9.1 Tuner AGC function moved to the API??

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
K4KDR

v3.9.1 Tuner AGC function moved to the API??

Post by K4KDR » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:42 am

After installing v3.9.1, I noticed that the Tuner AGC on the ExtIO screen was no longer functional.

I assume that this is communicated in the highlight notes as:

"Tuner AGC function moved to the API"

... since I use HDSDR, am I correct to assume that this effectively disables Tuner AGC for me?

I most certainly do not fault you for moving forward with development geared to the SDRUno application, but by any chance could this feature be implemented with an on/off switch? How wonderful it would be to retain past functionality while giving the option to move forward with the more advanced features of an app like SDRUno.

After much registry manipulation and uninstalling the new API / ExtIO, then reinstalling the previous versions, I have recovered the ability to use Tuner AGC on the ExtIO screen (which has worked so well for me all this time in HDSDR).

Congratulations with the SDRUno project, but since my needs are more basic it's not a product that I will be using. However, I would like to continue to use the SDRPlay RSP if possible.

-Scott, K4KDR
Montpelier, VA USA
Last edited by K4KDR on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

sdrplay

Re: v3.9.1 Tuner AGC function moved to the API??

Post by sdrplay » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:34 am

Hi,

Can you explain what you mean by no longer functional? It's been working here in testing and it's the same implementation that's in SDRuno. If you can post a screenshot showing the problem you're having we can look into it.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support
Last edited by sdrplay on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

K4KDR

Post by K4KDR » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:34 am

Thank you so much for the reply!

When I am at that computer again, I certainly will reproduce the issue and capture screen shots.

But in short, with the API & ExtIO updates, on the ExtIO screen, if you check to enable tuner AGC, the level slider (and effective gain level) stays at the top of the display no matter the signal strength, no matter if LNA is on or off, no matter what.

Manual operation of the slider does properly affect gain.

With the previous version, enable tuner AGC results in a setting that might fluctuate between the 30's & 50's, for example. So, after upgrading & seeing it pegged to minimun gain reduction under all conditions, I assumed from the highlight note that "moving tuner AGC to the API" meant that only the SDR app would control this feature going forward.

If that's not the case, then great! It's just that contrary to the popular use of manual gain control that I often read from others, I feel that I am highly successful with tuner AGC in concert with all the other settings that I have arrived at thru testing.

FYI, my primary use by far of the RSP is the reception of satellite telemetry.

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:15 am

That's certainly not how it's supposed to work and not how it's been working in testing!

If you can send some screenshots to support@sdrplay.com showing all the settings and HDSDR we'll get to the bottom of it.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support
Last edited by sdrplay on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

K4KDR

Post by K4KDR » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:34 pm

Hello again!

I believe that I am at peace now with the latest API & ExtIO updates. Thank you for your offer to review HDSDR settings; I don't believe that I need any further assistance at the moment.

The two issues in HDSDR that were a significant negative for me were:

-frequency trim not working (addressed in another post). While inconvenient, your reply ("Also, currently in 3.9.1 of the EXTIO plugin, it's necessary to stop/start the stream to see the ppm change") is an acceptable work-around since that PPM adjustment is not something that is normally changed often.

/and/

-the subject of this post: the apparent loss of Tuner AGC on the ExtIO screen.

I initially uninstalled the updates and got myself back to normal operation with the previous versions. Today I finally had an opportunity to try various fixes. I saw in another post the recommendation to delete the HKCU\Software\SDRplay\Settings registry key. This did not help by itself, but "might" have played a role in the ultimate solution.

What did finally allow the Tuner AGC to start operating dynamically again was to click the "Load Defaults" button on the ExtIO screen in HDSDR. Once that was done, with Tuner AGC enabled, the IF Gain Control slider started operating normally in response to signal conditions, LNA on or off, etc.

I hope that this information might be useful should anyone else experience similar loss of features in HDSDR with the RSP. Now I'll look forward to seeing if I can notice any differences with the 10 MHz sample rate!