SDRplay SDRSharp Plugin v2.0

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
Stan

SDRplay SDRSharp Plugin v2.0

Post by Stan » Sun May 03, 2015 6:29 pm

I noticed there was a newer version. However it functions just like the plain vanilla ExtIO.SDRplay version, which doesn't keep any of the settings when any SDR program is started.
Has the same Version and Build number as the plain ExtIO version.
Now in SDR# you can change the IF Bandwidth and Sample Rate without stopping and re-starting the program. It would be nice if both programs retained the settings when one re-starts. Half the time I forget to turn off the AGC and set the mixer offset.
Thanks,
Stan
Last edited by Stan on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Sideteacher

Re: SDRplay SDRSharp Plugin v2.0

Post by Sideteacher » Mon May 04, 2015 9:36 am

Thanks for the feedback. We will look into this and try and add this to our next release.
Last edited by Sideteacher on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

CaptainNemo

Post by CaptainNemo » Mon May 04, 2015 10:20 am

In the "restyled" website I can't find the change-log for this new plugin.
Please -- sdrplay ltd team -- can you kindly tell us what's new?

I was away from this site for some time but I remember a couple of issue, a couple of missing functionality
A-- scaling the bandwith to the available space on the screen (a nice solution is that adopted in sdrsharper v.0G
where the zoom slider is replaced by a drop dow list with fixed an convenient "pre-set")
B-- the annoying and frustrating "falling-from-the-hill" (the bandwith in non centered and re-centered around the tuning freq
so after some time, if you tune to higher frequency sooner or later you will find yourself going down the hill -- where the hill is the flat part
of bandwith, going down the hill means you go in a region were the filter is "filtering"... excuse my english...)

tnx
bye
Last edited by CaptainNemo on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Quimquim

Post by Quimquim » Tue May 05, 2015 10:19 am

HI back CaptainNemo

about the Spectrum zoom I think that it must be modify in the SDR# program itself not in the plugin.

to SDRPlay team.... I didn't see any advertising about the new V2.0 plugin and EXTIO.

Whould be fine the tell somewhere when new development are deploy so we can take a look to try them.

Regards
Last edited by Quimquim on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Stay tuned !!!! :mrgreen:

Quimquim :P

CaptainNemo

Post by CaptainNemo » Wed May 06, 2015 9:11 am

Hi Quimquim, Hi All.

About the scope "scaling". Some reason why ask for the solution to the plugin "team":
--a-- SDR# with other hw like the popular rtl-sdr and the Funcube Pro+ you have no need for the two issues I recalled in my last post.
--b-- I suppose sdrplay team will be more motivated to the solution, ( since sdr# team is now engaged with their sdr, it is more or less a direct competitor of sdrplay ).

I gave a short try (very short) to the v2.0 plugin and -- in the meantime they give use the "official change-log" -- I can guess this:
-- some "maquillage" to the plugin panel
-- I 'm trying to guess a change in the sw ACG algorythm
-- -- the acg seems smoother than before (OK) but in general the scope (I mean fft and waterfall) is full of spikes (than before) and "shadows" here and there (KO).

I'm still convinced sdrplay is a great hardware but still there is no sw+plugin able to exploit this hardware in terms of performance and usability
in the SWLing arena.

That said, I want to thanks all the sdrplay team (hw, sw, plugin, delivery, buyer, invoicing, design etc etc etc) for their great work.
bye
Last edited by CaptainNemo on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

CaptainNemo

Post by CaptainNemo » Wed May 06, 2015 4:43 pm

update.
also the frequency change was improved.
with previuous plugin if you change let say the 10khz digit you experienced a kind of "hang".
now all freq changes are smooth.
bye

CaptainNemo

Post by CaptainNemo » Wed May 06, 2015 5:13 pm

update*2
also the cited problem "B" (see a couple of post above) seems to be fixed
in fact now the "red needle" of your tuning is always set at the middle of the screen and the pass-band is centered around it...
it is more like a "radio"... very good!

now we wait for the "scaling" drop down list (my idea is, in the plugin panel, aside the other controls, you can set the amounto of khz
you want to see on the screen, let say 50khz, 100khz, 200khz, 1mhz ... etc... an this will automatically "scale" what you are viewing... like what they did in sdrsharper)

lew247

Post by lew247 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:00 am

This is the diffference I get between the new and older version of the plugin
As you can see even the name of the plugin shown in SdrSharp is messed up in the new one, it also has no indication of lnb gain on or off
This is the older version - MUCH better
sdrplay1.JPG
sdrplay1.JPG (181.96 KiB) Viewed 38693 times

This is the newer version - totally horrible to look at and use
sdrplay.JPG
sdrplay.JPG (169.06 KiB) Viewed 38693 times
Last edited by lew247 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

w5ggh

Post by w5ggh » Fri May 08, 2015 8:58 pm

My SDRPlay seemed to work better with the older version....now when listening to USB HF, have to uncheck the tuner agc in config to avoid overload, old version didn't seem to do that, wish there was a choice in the downloads to get the older or the newer...oh well...plus I miss...'Load defaults'....

bye for now
Last edited by w5ggh on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Sat May 09, 2015 10:21 am

This is the diffference I get between the new and older version of the plugin
As you can see even the name of the plugin shown in SdrSharp is messed up in the new one, it also has no indication of lnb gain on or off
This is the older version - MUCH better
It looks to me as if, in order to solve the problem with the I/Q correction not working in SDR# the SDRplay team has currently 'ported' the HDSDR plugin into the SDR# plugin installation. I'm sure that the next release will give both the HDSDR plugin and the SDR# plugin the better look of the version 1.3 of the SDR# plugin.

What you should notice with the new plugin version is that the Gain and phase numbers aren't stuck on 1.000 and 0.000 respectively when you are tuned to a signal and that any images from strong stations within the passband are no longer there. It depends on the signal strength you are working with. On FM broadcast a 60-70dB station would give a 15-20dB image - good enough for noise-free mono. With the I/Q correction working that image disappears and allows the much weake rstation occupying the frequency to be heard.

Rgds
David
Last edited by DaveB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.