SDRplay not recognized by W10

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
DJ2NL

SDRplay not recognized by W10

Post by DJ2NL » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:29 pm

After installing driver API and Uno I connected my brandnew SDRplay to my laptop.( Windows 10) and got message that Windows recognized a new USB device but this created a problem.
In device manager it was vissible with a yellow triangle warning. Reinstalling the driver gave message that driver is correct.
Reinstalling all software gave no results.
What else can I do to get this device working?

thanks,
Chris
DJ2NL
Last edited by DJ2NL on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Misterj

Re: SDRplay not recognized by W10

Post by Misterj » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:49 pm

DJ2NL, the latest version of W10 (1607) has stronger enforcement of driver signing. Please open an administrator command prompt and enter winver, then post your Windows version. See this. If this is the problem, you should see an error dialog concerning unsigned driver. Please post a screenshot of the error you are getting.
Thanks and enjoy, John.
Last edited by Misterj on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

DJ2NL

Post by DJ2NL » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:40 am

John,
My Windows version is indeed 1607 (build 14393.82)
The error message I get is:
The USB-device which was connected to this computer has created a failure. Windows does not recognize the device any longer.
So, what can I do now?

Chris
Last edited by DJ2NL on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

DanubeBCL

Post by DanubeBCL » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:26 am

Reading some of the messages about changes in kernel driver signing I am afraid that the only solution for the end-user is that the companies obtain (that is purchase) a new signature from Microsoft.
So far Microsoft has not forced me to update, I am still on Win 10-1511. But I fear that several devices will be kicked out when this happens, e. g. virtual audio cards, virtual COM emulators, maybe more. No good prospects.
73, Heinrich
Last edited by DanubeBCL on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Misterj

Post by Misterj » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:32 pm

Chris, I am afraid that Heinrich is correct and until the SDRuno authors have their driver properly signed W10 1607 will not be able to be used with SDRuno. Please use the contact page to send the authors a message. I will investigate a work around perhaps using an unsigned driver protocol. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Group Edit can be used to disable driver signing but I cannot test this. I have installed 1607 on a Virtual Machine but I cannot get any radio or radio SW to work. This may be a VM problem or something else. I was able to get rid of this message disabling driver signing using gpedit.msc but the SDRPlay still would not work correctly.
Here is a link to disable driver signing using group edit (requires Professional version of W10). You are on your own here - could be a little risky.

Misterj

Post by Misterj » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:06 am

Chris, I have used various virtual machine applications and various versions of the SDRPlay SW and cannot duplicate your problem. The installers ask for permission to install the Mirics driver. After I allow the install, I get no error messages and all runs fine. The only thing I can suggest, assuming you are still having problems, is to remove all the SDRPlay applications as well as the driver. Then DL a fresh copy of the latest from the SDRPlay website and try again. Also, try alternate USB ports. If you continue to have problems, please post details of what you did and screenshots of the error(s). Also give us the type of W10 you have - 64/32 bit; Home/Professional? Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: Chris, I realized after I posted this that Secure Boot was not supported by the VM I was using. I am now test using a different VM application with Secure Boot enabled and will update soon. Please wait for my update.

EDIT: I seem to not be able to find a VM app that both allows me to enable SecureBoot and connect my SDRPlay. Cogitating at this time and will post again.

EDIT: According to my testing, with Secure Boot enabled, the SDRPlay cannot be used. The Device Manager will show the radio as not having a properly signed driver and SDRuno cannot connect to it. Unfortunately using Group Edit (gpedit.msc) to set driver signing requirement to Ignore does not solve the problem. The only cure I could find was to disable Secure Boot. I was using Microsoft's Hyper-V VM, so it was easy for me. A real machine will require a trip to edit the BIOS.

Misterj

Post by Misterj » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:26 pm

The only cure I could find was to disable Secure Boot.
I am repeating my last edit - please see my EDITs above. Enjoy, John.