Should your RF ground connect all the way to the SMA jack?

General discussions
bubblegumpi

Should your RF ground connect all the way to the SMA jack?

Post by bubblegumpi » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:11 am

I like to listen to HF with my SDR so I set up a 58' long wire that runs out my 2nd floor window and goes almost level to a tree in the back yard. It ties to the tree about 10' off the ground, A nice straight wire running 45' away from the house . At the window the wire connects to the center pin of a 30' length of coax that goes though the house to the SDR. Directly under the window is a 2'X 1" copper ground rod, that connects to the coax at the window via a 20ga wire that is from the same spool as the actual antenna. So its RF grounded until F connector. Since I could not find an adapter I just connected a F connector adapter to a 1" solid bread board wire into the SMA, but the shielding doesn't touch the SMA. Easier to understand after looking at the picture. Should I connect the ground all the way to the SMA? Or will this create noise? I want to check before I try as it was a huge pain to get that little wire to connect the two and adding a ground would require redoing the silicone holding the whole thing together.
Attachments
SDRsml.jpg
SDRsml.jpg (168.03 KiB) Viewed 12521 times
smlSDRSMA.jpg
smlSDRSMA.jpg (184.08 KiB) Viewed 12521 times

Reason: No reason

F1BJB

Re: Should your RF ground connect all the way to the SMA jack?

Post by F1BJB » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:36 pm

If the shield of your coaxial cable is not connected to the ground of the receiver there is no advantage to using coaxial cable.
At HF it may seem to work but above 20Mhz it is really bad.

NN4F

Re: Should your RF ground connect all the way to the SMA jack?

Post by NN4F » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:11 pm

Simple ground on the outside...
Attachments
rspgnd.jpg
rspgnd.jpg (57.91 KiB) Viewed 12423 times

--
Paul Jones - NN4F, Charleston SC
http://www.facebook.com/groups/SDRPlay