Using SDRPlay with WSPR beacon project

General discussions
GM1LUZ

Using SDRPlay with WSPR beacon project

Post by GM1LUZ » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi all,
I'm using the SDRPlay with the WSJT-X program by Joe Taylor K1JT to monitor band conditions. I've used a variety of programs to get the audio including the excellent SDR Console by Simon Brown. I can tune the SDR to the required frequency and get WSJT-X to decode the signals. There are 2 things that I cannot get to work - indeed I don't know if they are actually possible.

1) I would like to be able to "hear" 3 different frequencies at the same time and decode them. I have 3 receivers set up in SDR Console but can only get the audio from 1 at a time. When I switch between the receivers I can see that each one is going to a separate instance of WSJT-X and they each decode well. I have downloaded VB-Virtual audio cables to allow this.

2) I would like to get WSJT-X to change the frequency of the receiver. Connected to Ham Radio Deluxe using the demo, I can see the frequency changes in HRD. My problem is that, no matter what I do, I can't get the SDRPlay (using SDR Console) to change frequency. If I could do this I could frequency hop from WSJT-X

Any help will be gratefully appreciated even if it's a can't be done :(
Many thanks Colin
Last edited by GM1LUZ on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

GM1LUZ

Re: Using SDRPlay with WSPR beacon project

Post by GM1LUZ » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:55 pm

OK - some more info that might help someone.
Forum post
viewtopic.php?t=1114
This leads me to believe that I can't monitor 10,15, and 20 mtrs at the same time with different VFOs (more than 10MHz bandwidth required)

So now I'm looking into how to use another program to change the frequency of the SDRPlay, specifically SDR Console. I'll ask in the SDR Console group.

Colin

GM1LUZ

Post by GM1LUZ » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:12 am

I now have band hopping working in WSJT-X, although not with SDR Console. This allows me to see propagation on all the amateur bands during the day.
I'm using WSJT-X to control HDSDR, which is connected to the SDRPlay.
Very briefly - You need to use a virtual serial port manager. I use VSP Manager by K5FR and a Virtual Audio Cable. The audio cable I use is from VB-Audio.
http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Ca ... Cables.htm

1)Set up 2 virtual serial ports (connected).
2) Set up WSJT-X to use cat and 1 of the ports, and this is the really important bit, for "Radio" select Kenwood TS2000, also set up "Audio" to use "Virtual Cable".
3) Set up HDSR to use "Cat to" and select the other virtual serial port. Input to HDSDR is SDRPlay (use EXT/IO version)
4) Use VB-Audio virtual audio cable for "Soundcard" in HDSDR and Audio in WSJT-X.

A good article is https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7434avup8mrk ... PHDSDR.pdf

If you need further info just ask.

GM1LUZ

Post by GM1LUZ » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:38 pm

Further update - Now working with SDR-Console V2.3 build 2381

Colin