New user having problems - can't hear!

Post your feedback here
Pascal

New user having problems - can't hear!

Post by Pascal » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:55 pm

Hello,

I just received a brand new SDRplay RSP1 from HRO. I am in Hawaii.

I have been able to set up CubicSDR on my iMac, and SDRuno on Windows 10. I can connect to the RSP and change settings. I have tried several antennas: a 1m long wire; a 3m long wire; a 10m long wire. I am using a SMA to SO239 jumper about 30cm long.

However, I can't seem to hear anything except 2 FM stations (Hawaii Public Radio 89.1 and 91.3 MHz) which are about 10 km distant. I hear them poorly, even though they are full quieting on my analog receiver. I was barely able to hear a National Weather Service station on 162.550 MHz which is strong on my portable NWS receiver.

I have not been able to hear anything on MW, SW, Ham bands (80m, 40m, 20m, 15m, 2m, 70cm), or other VHF/UHF. I have fussed for hours with the NLA on/off and Mixer Gain controls. I can not find ANY combination which provides a low noise floor with any signals. I have tried FM, NBFM, AM, USB, LSB, etc. I did see some spurs from a digital audio amplifier in the shack, but those went away when I turned it off. My iMac (2015) is RF quiet.

I am in perhaps the most radio quiet place that you can be. In fact we cannot pick up any local AM radio or any TV signals here - because there are none. I can only hear the two HPR FM stations mentioned above on the FM band. However, I can hear tons of HF (Ham and SW) and 2m and 70cm ham here with analog transceivers.

I am an extra class hame - AC7N, with 50+ years of radio experience. Why can't I hear ANYTHING?

Mahalo.

Aloha,

Pascal
Last edited by Pascal on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Tech_Support

Re: New user having problems - can't hear!

Post by Tech_Support » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:21 pm

Hello Pascal,
I suggest you send an email to support-usa@sdrplay.com and they will try to help you. However, when you do so, be sure to send screen shots showing your tuner settings, spectrum display and waterfall. You ought to be able to receive decent signals with a 10m long wire, but 30 m would be better. One thing to check is that you have not inadvertently used a female SMA adapter. The RSP requires a male adapter (with a centre pin). A female adapter will not work.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

Pascal

Post by Pascal » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:39 pm

Thank you for the response. I will email support-usa@sdrplay.com.

I am definitely using a male SMA connector. And, I have checked for continuity and short.

Aloha,

Pascal - ac7n

Pascal

Post by Pascal » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:06 am

I am being helped by Steve at support-usa. I am having better success.

The problem appears to have been a combination of antenna location, dead HF bands, and my unfamiliarity with setting the right gain balance.

Am currently listening to Honolulu Radio VOLMET on 8828 kHz USB with good signal. FM broadcast and NOAA also working well now. So, perhaps there is no problem with my RSP1. I'll keep plugging away.

Aloha,

Pascal - ac7n
Hawaii Island