Impossible To Install

Post your feedback here
W5MCU

Impossible To Install

Post by W5MCU » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:56 am

Without a doubt this is the most frustrating software to install. On my WIndows 7 laptop it is impossible to get the drivers installed. So I went to my Mac system and it is worse! The application doesn't show up anywhere on the Mac.

On the Windows machine nothing just the open screen.

Very frustrating ( and BTW I'm not a numbnut when it comes to installing software) this stuff is irritating to say the least. And I've also followed the instructions to a tee.
Last edited by W5MCU on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Tech_Support

Re: Impossible To Install

Post by Tech_Support » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:18 am

What software are you trying to install? Did you follow the 'start here' process via our website? Normally if someone follows this and the installation fails for any reason, we will get an automatic support email request with details of what the problem is.

Regards

SDRplay Tech_Support

W5MCU

Post by W5MCU » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:28 pm

I was trying to install the software in the "Start Here" section for Windows 7. Finally got the Mac version going - Cubic SDR. It's not exactly great software but it at least installed and proved that the SDR Play box works okay.

Downloaded the API/Driver. Not sure why there are two places to download drivers? The bold 4. Download API/Driver (for SDRuno including hardware driver click here) and then below it is: Click here to download the Windows API & Hardware Driver Installation (V1.97 released 20th September 2016). There is no explanation of the difference of these two different downloads or are they the same.

The next screen asks "5. Which SDR Application Software?" I don't know the answer because there is no explanation of which one I should use or what the difference is between HDSR, SDR-Console or SDR#. Since I'm new to this how would I know which one to use? There is no mention of SDRuno which I thought WAS the program.

Then on the Windows page are the following: SDRuno (including hardware driveer), API/Hardware Driver, ADS-B9dump1090). RSP1 EXTIO Plugin (min requirement: API1.94, RSP1 SDR# Plugin (Requires SDR# v1211+). But I still haven't found which of those three programs I need or what differentiates them from each other.

On my Toshiba laptop, Windows 7 refuses to properly load the drivers. What else is new with Windows. Microsoft hasn't figured out how to load drivers properly since DOS 2.0. Funny how the MAC OSS 10 just installed whatever drivers were needed and pressed on. I would stick with the MAC for this SDR but CubicSDR leaves much to be desired.

The demonstrations of SDRuno I've seen on YouTube make it look like a breeze to install in under 2 minutes. Hi hi. I'm in my second day.

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:37 pm

Odd. I find SDRUno the easiest I've ever tried. Just download and install and it works - no extra drivers or EXTIO files, just so simple. And I speak as someone who always falls victim to any and every installation bug out there....

Andy

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:10 pm

Hello W5MCU,
Unfortunately, SDRuno was a fairly recent addition to our software portfolio and because it integrates the API into the application, it doesn't sit well within the previous software installation flow, where we had to separately install the API and then plugins to interface to a piece of application software that we hadn't written.

There is going to be a major revamp of the website in the next couple of weeks that will help make this a more consistent installation flow for all application packages. I know that this will do little to alleviate your frustrations and so please accept our apologies for this.

In terms of which software to use, there is no simple answer to that as it is very much a matter of personal preference and many users come to the RSP having already had experience with other SDR platforms and a clear preference for a given piece of software. As I previously mentioned, the only application software that we actually own is SDRuno, but we work to support as many third part software packages as we possibly can to try to cater for the diverse preferences of our customers. Over time, SDRuno will tend to have the best and most up-to-date support for the RSP.

As g1hbe states, you can simply download and install SDRuno directly from our Windows platforms page at:

www.sdrplay.com/windows.html

Please ensure that you disable any anti-virus software before doing this as many AV packages falsely flag the installer as a threat.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

W5MCU

Post by W5MCU » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:28 pm

It WAS the Anti-Virus keeping the driver from loading. Ditching Norton AV fixed the problem. WIndows or Norton, I thought, would point out the reason for failing to install the driver was because it thought it was a threat. Instead, it merely kept "looking" for the driver on-line.

So it is installed and working now! Yea!

Thanks for everyone that made suggestions. I empathize with G1HBE, I thought I was the only one that fell victim to every bug out there!

Mark.

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:43 pm

To be fair Mark, this isn't a bug at our end. On step 3 of the 'start here' process we do ask people to disable any AV software for the duration of the installation process.

SDRplay Tech_Support

W5MCU

Post by W5MCU » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:52 pm

SDRplay Tech_Support,

Sorry I was not implying it was a bug in the program, but rather a bug in my WIndows AV installation that did not make it apparent to me that it was hindering the install of the drivers.

I had received the computer from someone else that I was installing on and did not even realize Norton AV was installed on it. :oops:

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:04 pm

Not directly relevant - but my AV software (F-secure through TalkTalk Homesafe) has recently decided to automatically block "setup.exe" and "install.exe". Actually it didn't block them it "helpfully" deleted the file(s) as they were flagged as potentially harmful as they could install unwanted programs to your computer. [But I want to install the program!!!!]. I have had a hard time working through how to exclude these from the list of scanned files so I can actually run a program installation.

I don't like to disable the anti-virus software as years ago when doing a fresh installation of Windows Xp I went on-line to activate it before installing the av software and got that nasty virus (blaster something?) even though I had only linked to microsoft.com.

I think the a-v providers are getting too clever for our own good

13dka

Post by 13dka » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:52 am

Today, it's absolutely necessary to update your virus definition tables and the AV software itself at least the very day you're going to download or install something. In particular AV products like Norton etc., using a "reputation" score to assess new bits of software often - sometimes even silently - refuse to touch anything they don't "know" yet. Also, it may take 24 hours or more until some new software has been "whitelisted" by said AV products, so you may be forced to wait for day 2 after the software's release date until your fresh virus definition tables don't throw "false positives" anymore.