Proposed upgrades to RSP1 no cancelled ??

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
g,3vds

Proposed upgrades to RSP1 no cancelled ??

Post by g,3vds » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:01 pm

As a recent purchaser of a new RSP1 I'm concerned that, with the release of the RSP2, the enhancements we have been hoping for E.g. metal case and additional filtering will vanish in the excitement.
Please don't forget us !!!
Last edited by g,3vds on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason
G3VDS, NE5R

g8ixn

Re: Proposed upgrades to RSP1 no cancelled ??

Post by g8ixn » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:10 pm

Yes I feel the same.
225 to 425 is not really usable even with external bandpass filters fitted due to images.
Keith

DK7OB

Post by DK7OB » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:09 am

Hm, I would say most of the wishes for the RSP 1 have been recognized and the result is the RSP2.

Only thing I don't like with the RSP2 is the high impedance antenna input for VLF and LF. I am using an active antenna there which has a 50 Ohms output.

g8ixn

Post by g8ixn » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:29 pm

DK7OB wrote:Hm, I would say most of the wishes for the RSP 1 have been recognized and the result is the RSP2.

Only thing I don't like with the RSP2 is the high impedance antenna input for VLF and LF. I am using an active antenna there which has a 50 Ohms output.
So the recent buyers of the RSP1 have funded the RSP2.Due to limitations of the hardware the RSP1 can't be upgraded as the RF performance is limited by the hardware filters ? So we junk our recently bought RSP1's ? An expensive mistake on our part ?

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:27 pm

g8ixn wrote:
DK7OB wrote:Hm, I would say most of the wishes for the RSP 1 have been recognized and the result is the RSP2.

So the recent buyers of the RSP1 have funded the RSP2.Due to limitations of the hardware the RSP1 can't be upgraded as the RF performance is limited by the hardware filters ? So we junk our recently bought RSP1's ? An expensive mistake on our part ?
I wouldn't say that. If you've recently bought the RSP1, then you have a decent receiver and you can get the new model when you feel like it. It's just the same with cars, phones and TV's - a new model comes out that has new or better features, but you don't have to have it right away.

Andy

Harry

Post by Harry » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:34 pm

g8ixn wrote:

As a ham you can't be serious. Ham gear, especially transceivers, have gone this route for quite some time. This is the natural course of technology and product development and isn't about to change. If you are serious, then I imagine you're quite exercised with Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, FlexRadio, and /or Apache Labs. The same goes for RFspace, Afedri, Quick Silver Labs, etc. Companies in this space either move forward or become extinct (witness Ten Tec). Finally, for price per features and performance the RSP1 is a very decent piece of gear that remains attractive and useful. Over the next few months new SDRs at compelling prices are about to be released and I think that's just great even though I've purchased earlier generation equipment.

g8ixn

Post by g8ixn » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:34 pm

Harry wrote:
g8ixn wrote:

As a ham you can't be serious. Ham gear, especially transceivers, have gone this route for quite some time. This is the natural course of technology and product development and isn't about to change. If you are serious, then I imagine you're quite exercised with Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, FlexRadio, and /or Apache Labs. The same goes for RFspace, Afedri, Quick Silver Labs, etc. Companies in this space either move forward or become extinct (witness Ten Tec). Finally, for price per features and performance the RSP1 is a very decent piece of gear that remains attractive and useful. Over the next few months new SDRs at compelling prices are about to be released and I think that's just great even though I've purchased earlier generation equipment.
Yes I accept the replys here.The problem I suppose is being spoilt & comparing the 2 SDR's I have, 1 7 years old & 1 14 years old that knock spots off the domestic offerings.Even so I do enjoy RSP1 & find the 10 mhz wide spectrum display useful, in parts of the specturum that are useable.Lets wait & see what the next 6 months brings.From the spec the RSP2 is a step in the right direction.

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:23 pm

225 to 425 is not really usable even with external bandpass filters fitted due to images.
Keith
You need a sharp low pass filter - cutting off just below the MW band. This might be of interest

http://www.radiohobbyist.org/blog/?p=1894

add a couple of extra sections for even sharper attenuation.

David

g8ixn

Post by g8ixn » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:28 pm

DaveB wrote:
Keith
You need a sharp low pass filter - cutting off just below the MW band. This might be of interest

http://www.radiohobbyist.org/blog/?p=1894

add a couple of extra sections for even sharper attenuation.

David
Sorry Dave Should have put 225 Mhz to 425 Mhz Within that range I have very sharp bandpass filter but does not stop images.
By the sound the RSP 2 has overcome this problem.

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:59 pm

OK - it seems 225-425 kHz is also of interest to quite a few people - hence why there is a published circuit.