QS1R Operation question

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
n2msqrp

QS1R Operation question

Post by n2msqrp » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:52 am

I want to control my QS1R with SDRuno. The manual infers that this is possible.

I placed the ExtIO_qs1r.dll into the C:\Progarm Files (x86)\SDRplay\SDRuno file but it does not detect the QSIR when I run SDRuno.

Thanks,

Mike N2MS
Last edited by n2msqrp on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

sdrplay

Re: QS1R Operation question

Post by sdrplay » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:56 am

Place the dll into your Documents folder and start the SDRuno (EXTIO) executable. It will find it there.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support

n2msqrp

Post by n2msqrp » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:51 pm

I placed the ExtIO_qs1r.dll into This PC\Documents folder as well as the C:\Progarm Files (x86)\SDRplay\SDRuno.

When I start the SDRuno (EXTIO) executable I get this message:

loadFpga: filename does not exist

Could not load QS1R Fpga

The QS1R runs fine with SDRMAXV program.

Mike N2MS

DanubeBCL

Post by DanubeBCL » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:01 pm

I do not have a QS1R. But looking at the sourcecode and the files in the Extio package it seems as if the Extio must load the two files
qs1r_firmware_03032011.hex
QS1R_WINRAD_04112011.rbf
Are they present in the same directory?
73s, Heinrich

n2msqrp

Post by n2msqrp » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:04 pm

Heinrich,

I tired placing these three files in PC\Documents folder but it did not work.

ExtIO_qs1r.dll
QS1R_WINRAD_04112011.rbf

I placed the three files under C:\Program Files (x86)\SDRplay\SDRuno and it is working. Thanks!

The only issue I have is when changing Sample rate. The rate changes but it does not save the change. I get an error message:

Unable to write to C:|Program Files (x86)|SDRuno\wr_qs1r.ini

I am using the QS1R because the RSP1 overloads on 160 meters because of the proximity to the AM broadcast band. I am curious about the 160 meter performance of the RSP2 since it will have a MW notch filter.

73 Mike N2MS

DanubeBCL

Post by DanubeBCL » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:13 pm

n2msqrp wrote:I tried placing these three files in PC\Documents folder but it did not work.
I placed the three files under C:\Program Files (x86)\SDRplay\SDRuno and it is working.
Hello,
interesting. I did not expect that. To overcome the write problem I only see a chance when you install SDRuno to a folder with full write access (not Program Files).
73s, Heinrich

n2msqrp

Post by n2msqrp » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:27 pm

Heinrich,

Thanks again...I uninstalled and re-installed SDRuno under a Documents/SDRuno file and I can write to the wr_qs1r.ini file.

Enjoying the great progarm.

73 Mike N2MS

DanubeBCL

Post by DanubeBCL » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:33 pm

Yes. I have an extra directory called "My Programs" for "certain" applications which need write access to their own working directory. The Windows paranoia to prevent full access to "Program Files (x86)" has not stopped criminals from spreading malware on the computers (not mine so far ;-) ). It only causes us trouble with "our" programs which need write access.
73s, Heinrich

dsalomon

Post by dsalomon » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:16 pm

This is a note / suggestion to the SDRUno developers:

In the SDRUno documentation, please write specific details for EACH RADIO other than the RSP on how to get the radio to work with SDRUno. For example, for the QS1R, it needs the following files:

ExtIO_qs1r.dll
QS1R_WINRAD_04112011.rbf

I got these details for the QS1R from this thread. You guys should have the details for all the other radios you support. If not, I'm sure we users should be able to supply them.

Also, please write within the SDRUno documentation details about the importance of the installation directory and Windows limitation re: writing to files in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\" and "C:\Program Files\" directories. This security change was implemented as far back as Windows 7. The SDRUno User Manual, Page 7, in version R1.1, shows the install default directory of "C:\Program Files (x86)\SDRPlay\SDRUno". I suggest that this step in the installation process is the appropriate place to include a note that SDRUno for radios other than the RSP will NOT work correctly if the SDRUno software is installed in this default directory due to Windows security. The documentation should instruct the user to select a directory other than "C:\Program Files (x86)\" or "C:\Program Files\" or any subdirectories within those directories. The documentation should go further by stating that the SDRUno software should not be installed in ANY Windows directories. My two cents worth would be to suggest to the user that the software should be installed in a base directory if being installed on the system drive. For example: "C:\SDRUno". If being installed on any non-system drive, any location should be OK to use.

Putting this information in the SDRUno User Guide will help users not familiar with Windows security avoid the issues described in this thread.

I disagree with the posts here suggesting to install in the "My Documents" directory. The intended purpose of that location is for documents, not program files. It is not a problem installing in that directory, i.e. it will work fine. I'm suggesting this simply because it may help users keep things organized as intended within Windows. Many backup programs automatically include "My Documents" in their daily backup set. If SDRUno is install there, it's program files will all be backed up with the data backup. This is not a big issue, as the program files are very small. It's simply an organizational thing.

Once again, these are just my suggestions.

73 - David, AG4F

DanubeBCL

Post by DanubeBCL » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:14 pm

dsalomon wrote:In the SDRUno documentation, please write specific details for EACH RADIO other than the RSP on how to get the radio to work with SDRUno.
But we should also consider that the ExtIO support is a free "giveaway" of the SDRuno developers and I would not expect them to give support for third party radios which they do not sell.
If you want to have ExtIO support in Zeusradio e. g. without a purchased ZS-1 transceiver you have to pay!!!
I am not speaking of the freeware authors of course which integrated ExtIO support for passion and dedication like in HDSDR.
Remember that the maker of SDR# e. g. dropped ExtIO support completely soon after he started to sell his own radios. To be honest: This could also have happened to SDRuno after the source code was acquired.
I personally consider ExtIO support as a generous gift in SDRuno which allows us to run third party radios even without purchasing an RSP.
73s, Heinrich