RSP1 with Win10 MiniPC

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
DF1KZ

RSP1 with Win10 MiniPC

Post by DF1KZ » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:57 pm

I made some experiments with RSP1 and Mini PCs "WINTEL CX-W8" and "GOLE1". This are small PCs with Intel Z8300 Quad-core, Windows10, 2GB (GOLE1 4GB) RAM and 32GB ROM.
It works!
I tried HDSDR 2.75 with latest API/EXTIO, SDRuno 1.11 and Dump1090. The maximum usable bandwith is about 4MHz with processor load 50-60%. No other programs should be running. I could decode all modes and ADS-B (Dump1090). The USB-port of these Mini-PCs is sufficient as powersupply for the RSP1 even in battery-mode of GOLE1.

Wolfgang

Reason: No reason

F1BJB

Re: RSP1 with Win10 MiniPC

Post by F1BJB » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:55 am

Hi
Same good results here with a Nexbox T10 .
Improving the cooling of the CPU can be useful on those devices.
I run all the programs from network connected drives to free USB ports and power consumption.
Beware that Linux support on those machines is not optimal yet and sometimes the included power supply
is a good QRM generator.

DanubeBCL

Post by DanubeBCL » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:09 am

I read that Nexbox Mini PCs only have 100 Mbit-LAN. Are there no models with Gigabit-LAN?
The manufacturer's website is not very talkative about that. They only praise the video decoding qualities.
At least Nexbox seems to provide 4 USB sockets while others only have 2 or max. 3.
Can the Nexbox Minis be powered from 12 V (e. g. photovoltaic battery)?
73, Heinrich

F1BJB

Post by F1BJB » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:22 pm

No it is only 100Mbps but there is an USB3 port that should allow the use of an external adapter.
I tried a low cost adapter mixed with a 3 ports USB3 Hub but had some problems of dis-connexion.
Hub seems OK but doesn't allow an external power supply.
For the power supply it needs 5V at 3A and there is some kind of protection .
With 5.6V it doesn't start.
5.3 is OK and leaves margin to power hungry USB hard drives.
At 5V cable length can be a problem so the 12V / 5V regulator must be close to the box.

DanubeBCL

Post by DanubeBCL » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:34 pm

Thanks. I have already been looking at the specs of Minix NGC 1 and Beelink BT7. They seem to have Gigabit-LAN. 12 V are important for remote operation. USB ports are needed for SDRs and remote controlling of antenna relays and such.
But I have not yet made up my mind. Im am still dreaming of a remote station far away from the electromagnetic garbage of my neighbours, power lines and such. This ist the reason why I am interested in low power mini PCs. The current obstacle is the price of a real restate "in the green" ;-).
73, Heinrich

F1BJB

Post by F1BJB » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:53 am

A few other tips:
To spare USB ports I thought it would be clever to use a Blue tooth Keyboard and mouse instead of the one I am using
that needs a USB dongle.
Very bad idea they need to be paired each time you change machine or even OS on the same one.
This requires a real keyboard. :twisted:
Sometimes they don't work at all in Linux or some Android boxes.
Linux support on the Nexbox T10 is poor actually:
No sdcard
No WiFi
No sound except in HDMI with a patch:
http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2016/ ... l-and.html
For remote operation may be POE with external adapters could be nice.