Squelch in relation to gain reduction

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
g4enz

Squelch in relation to gain reduction

Post by g4enz » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:33 am

Firstly, thank you for the excellent RSP2 and SDR Uno software. I am having great fun exploring their capabilities. I have but one minor niggle...

When a strong station (like a local repeater) fires up it triggers automatic gain reduction and affects squelch thresholds. I find I am constantly adjusting these to compensate for changes to overall system gain. Is there any way that squelch threshold settings could be made to compensate automatically? Signal strength readings seems to be kept steady through the range of gain settings so why not squelch?

73 Martin - G4ENZ

Reason: No reason

NoelC

Re: Squelch in relation to gain reduction

Post by NoelC » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:54 pm

I have to agree.

There are several feature couplings that there shouldn't be. And since it is software, it seems like they should be fixable.

Another one is the Noise Blanking setting. IF Gain changes affect its threshold, when it would really be nice if there was some factor in there that would take into account the changes to the gain in order to decouple the control.

I find I just have to turn off AGC a lot of the time in order to use Squelch and Noise Blanking.

-Noel

Reason: No reason