Audio latency when used as a panadapter/sub receiver

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
K9AQ

Audio latency when used as a panadapter/sub receiver

Post by K9AQ » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:31 am

I am using an RSP1 as a panadapter for my Elecraft K3. The If output of the K3 feeds in to the RSP1, and I am using HDSDR software. This combination works great as a visual panadapter for the K3.

I would also like to use the sound card audio output as a sub receiver. My goal is to be able to hear both sides of a DX conversation, when the DX station is working split. I have configured HDSDR so that I can listen to one frequency on the K3, and the B VFO, which is the other side of the split frequency QSO from a sound card connected to HDSDR.

The problem is the amount of audio latency through SDR Play and HDSDR. This is not a problem when it was only used as a visual panadapter but when listening to both sources, there is a noticeable amount of latency through SDRPlay and HDSDR. I haven't measured it, but it is long enough that it would be difficult trying to use this in a crowded pile-up.

I have seen similar threads, with a very technical discussion on the potential causes. Can anyone in layman's terms suggest some ways to reduce the audio latency?

Thanks,

Don
K9AQ
Last edited by K9AQ on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

oldjackbob

Re: Audio latency when used as a panadapter/sub receiver

Post by oldjackbob » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:21 pm

You might look into using a low-latency ASIO audio driver. HDSDR should support that. I tried it once on an earlier version of HDSDR but never could get it to work (quite likely due to pilot error).

Mark KF5VQY
Last edited by oldjackbob on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

K9AQ

Re: Audio latency when used as a panadapter/sub receiver

Post by K9AQ » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:52 pm

I can give that a try. I have a Asus Xonar U7 sound card that supports the ASIO driver, but it is back at my home which is 200 miles away. The next time I come back to my cabin I will bring that sound card along and give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Don
K9AQ
Last edited by K9AQ on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.