what I need my be what you need too.. anyone listening?

General discussions
K4JUD

what I need my be what you need too.. anyone listening?

Post by K4JUD » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:47 am

I like to monitor lots of bands and what not without turning on a radio. Taking that to the next level would be a way to walk around my house or outside working while monitoring. I believe a WIFI SDR would allow this. By it being in my shack, hooked to the big/better out antennas and able to connect to it via WIFI with a phone or tablet. Maybe even a raspberry Pi. Once its WIFI acceptable one could pick their prefered way to connect. Could even be another computer in a garage shop or something in the kitchen.. I will accept a free one as payment for my excellent idea. :)

Thanks and I own several of your great SDRs and more to come Im sure...
Last edited by K4JUD on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

someYguy

Re: what I need my be what you need too.. anyone listening?

Post by someYguy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:53 pm

This has been done before with audio streaming over wifi. I did it years ago with a Yaesu FT-817 connected to a server pc and using Ham Radio Deluxe for remote control via wifi on a laptop. Audio was done with a small program called Tonecast. Worked great. There are already a few options nowadays for the SDRplay for remote control and audio if you are using Windows. Not so with Android. One is to use SDR Console in remote mode. Another is to use a remote screen program such as Team Viewer along with your favorite SDR software......

Ian G3NRW

Post by Ian G3NRW » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:33 pm

Something similar to this, you mean?

http://www.g3nrw.net/AIM4170/AIM4170%20 ... 202011.pdf

Scroll all the way down to slide 113 onward. This shows an AIM 4170 antenna analyzer in the shack, controlled by a local PC. There is a WiFi connection from the in-house router to a netbook/tablet out in the yard, and a software tunnel between the 2 devices.

This makes it very easy to make antenna adjustments outside, without having to walk back into the house each time to see the effects of the change. Saves a huge amount of time.

Replace the AIM 4170 with the RSP, and the shack software with SDR Console or whatever, then you can control the software, and hence the hardware, while lounging in your hammock in the sunshine!

--
Ian, G3NRW
g3nrw@g3nrw.net
Last edited by Ian G3NRW on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

someYguy

Post by someYguy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:35 pm

Ya know what Ian?.....That remote antenna analyzer is just pretty darn cool! :)

bubblegumpi

Post by bubblegumpi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:02 am

This is just like my thread. Using team viewer seems messy and inefficient. I want it to work every time I open the PC. It looks like the best way would be to copy another set up like a weather station or remote monitoring.