RSP2 frustration on Mac

Post your feedback here
rxrod

RSP2 frustration on Mac

Post by rxrod » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:40 am

Received my RSP2 today, follow all instructions to the letter for my Mac but no luck.
Tried 4 more times, still no luck. Went through all of the documentation and could not find any application programs.
Based on most reviews this is an amazing product, so I need some help on how to get it started.

Thanks

Joe
Last edited by rxrod on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Tech_Support

Re: RSP2 frustration on Mac

Post by Tech_Support » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:48 am

Hello Joe,
The only SDR program that will run natively on the Mac is Cubic SDR, but the wrapper software to interface this to the RSP2 is still in development. We hope to have it available very soon. Alternatively you can run SDRuno under a virtual machine such as VMware or Parallels.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

rxrod

Post by rxrod » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:24 pm

Hello tech support. That's just not acceptable and a very bad business model... First you work out the issues with the product, make sure it works and then you offer it for sale.

This unit cost me 240 dollars Canadian and right now,and until you come up with the right software for it, it is just a paper weight on my desk.
It makes me think twice about ever doing business with you guys. This unit should come out of the box ready to go and compatible with all platforms.
This blunder will be bad for your business. I feel I've been taken for a very expensive ride and left on the side of the road.

Having said that, there are other issues with the activation of the software: the click to browse for a different folder for the software merely takes you back to the previous window "install for all users of this computer" and never gives you a choice. Also, the paths for the heather file and the shared files are wrong. Get it fixed please. So far I've spent more than 3 hours trying to get this thing to work and am very upset; feel like I was robbed.
Very upset.
Joe
Last edited by rxrod on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

N7RJN

Post by N7RJN » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:38 am

I am also a Mac user and initially was a bit disappointed that RSP2 software is not yet available for OS-X. However, I am not angry about this, as I am used to being and "early adopter". I enjoy being on the bleeding edge, so to speak. A review of the web site shows what software is actually available and the blog shows the latest status of what will be available shortly. The available software is Windows based, so I simply downloaded this and run it with WIndows 10 on my Mac using VMware. And guess what, SDRuno (1.11) works well on my Mac in this environment. :P
Last edited by N7RJN on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

g4jnw

Post by g4jnw » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:03 pm

I understand your frustration as i initially bought an early (blue case) RSP1 and then through frustration sold it, however i did buy another RSP1 (new model) but did not go for the RSP2 (YET) there is i agree a lack of software for the Mac and as my dedicated Mac is a 2009 IMac I struggle with it running Parallels although not as bad as VMware.
I dislike Cubic as its not as user friendly as SDRUno but will stick with it as its a great piece of kit, in the hope that someone writes something as good as SDRuno, I previously has a Flex 3000 SDR transceiver and it came with what i considered the best software PowerSDR but guess what it was windows again.

Personally i would gladly pay extra for something that would work natively on the Mac, guess for now we all have to wait.
Last edited by g4jnw on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Alrescha

Post by Alrescha » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:23 pm

g4jnw wrote: Personally i would gladly pay extra for something that would work natively on the Mac, guess for now we all have to wait.
As I have said before, the great frustration for me is that every person I know involved with radio uses a Mac desktop, and we are all saddled with having to use Windows in a VM. Not so patiently waiting for vendors to wake up.

A.

photojon

Post by photojon » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:22 am

Its been over a month since this post came out. I have a new RSP1 and am trying to get up and running, and like Joe am disappointed that there is a lot of "assembly required". Is there an ETA?

Thanks
Last edited by photojon on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:00 am

Alrescha wrote:
g4jnw wrote: Personally i would gladly pay extra for something that would work natively on the Mac, guess for now we all have to wait.
As I have said before, the great frustration for me is that every person I know involved with radio uses a Mac desktop, and we are all saddled with having to use Windows in a VM. Not so patiently waiting for vendors to wake up.

A.
That's interesting - the use of Mac versus PC must vary enormously from country to country. Here in the UK, I don't know anyone who uses a Mac for their SDR applications. Windows rules here!

Andy

g4jnw

Post by g4jnw » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:13 am

Im in the UK hence my callsign G4JNW, I know quite a few people who runs Mac's for all sorts of Ham related activities. Personally I have never suffered any issues others have with Windows or crashes etc BUT it does make me a little nervous running windows on a Mac, I do notice when running Windows on my iMac it uses a lot of resources and is reluctant to release the resources.

Each to his own I guess, I have had both my Macbook Pro and My iMac since 2009 and don't feel the need to change.

Most serious applications are written to run on both Mac's and Windows.
Last edited by g4jnw on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

MiamiC70

Post by MiamiC70 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:58 am

I have been frustrated with MAC support since I bought my RSP1 and software with that is frustrating. I have not upgraded to an RSP2 because of the issues with OSX software and I personally am getting tired of the lack of OSX support not only for RSP but HAM radio in general.